Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#56670 by EXVISOR
Wed May 26, 2010 8:52 am
ok I have a few questions i did have them change one of my numbers (the main one) to my dsl nuber which was thee idea
the other thing is when you say plug a phone line in which line, the dsl land line?
also yes i do have the older white system that turns blue when its up and running, i would like to also hook up the hub if possible but since i am using cordless phones that came in a pack of 4 I guess I really don't have to have the hub as the 4 phones are fine, the main unit of corse is what im using to plug into the hub so all the other cordless work as they dont require a phone line just power outlet
#56672 by EXVISOR
Wed May 26, 2010 9:01 am
ok I have a few questions and answers for you, if I call like you ask what does that do ,in other words They did take my main ooma number and switch it to my dsl number, I didnt ask them to do this butthey said it had to be done
also once I do what you say what phone line will I be pluging in the dsl?
also I would like to use the hub but can due with out it as I have 4 cordless phones that came together that work off the main phone, also I do have the older ooma thats white with a small hub and when it is working the light turns blue
I would like people to call my new number vs the old ooma number since it took me for ever to remember but its not a must so if I get the old number back will people call the dsl number or the ooma number, in other words will I be using the dsl as a second line and using the ooma on its own with its own number
because if thats the case I dont need the dsl phone to have dsl service to my computer ,I only got it because i needed to have a phone and the ooma quality was terrible when using there gateway modem/router
#56677 by southsound
Wed May 26, 2010 9:31 am
EXVISOR wrote:ok I have a few questions and answers for you, if I call like you ask what does that do ,in other words They did take my main ooma number and switch it to my dsl number, I didnt ask them to do this butthey said it had to be done
If you have ooma support remove the landline integration, you will go back to using your ooma phone number for calls in and out of your ooma hub (that's what the larger white ooma box is called).

also once I do what you say what phone line will I be pluging in the dsl?
The DSL modem will be plugged into the jack that ATT wired for DSL. A corded phone can plug into the other jack that ATT set up for phone use. If you check your DSL modem, it might also have a jack for a telephone on it - if so you could use that connection for the landline telephone. Either way you can use the conneced phone to make calls on your landline in case of power failure or answer incomming calls from people who call your old number.

also I would like to use the hub but can due with out it as I have 4 cordless phones that came together that work off the main phone, also I do have the older ooma thats white with a small hub and when it is working the light turns blue
The smaller device is called the scout. One problem here - the scout communicates with the hub using HPNA. HPNA is a networking protocol that allows you to send data for the scout over the same wires as a phone conversation - but it does not work on a line with DSL. If you want to use the scout, it MUST be on a clean pair of wires in yhour phone cable. Most phone wiring done in the last 20 or so years has at least 3 pairs, so it can be done - especially with your knowledge of wiring fabrication. For right now, I would leave it in the box until you get the rest of the system working.

I would like people to call my new number vs the old ooma number since it took me for ever to remember but its not a must so if I get the old number back will people call the dsl number or the ooma number, in other words will I be using the dsl as a second line and using the ooma on its own with its own number because if thats the case I dont need the dsl phone to have dsl service to my computer ,I only got it because i needed to have a phone and the ooma quality was terrible when using there gateway modem/router
A couple of choices here and you get to make them. If you like your landline number and want to keep using it for incoming calls, you can get "call forward all calls" from ATT on that line and have it forward to your ooma number. Of course, this will cost extra every month from ATT. If the number is not that important, you an just start giving out your ooma number and eventually everyone will be using it. We put a cheap answering machine on our landline with a message that says, "If you have reached this recording you have called our old number. Our new number is 360 555-XXXX and you can call it now." We only got a couple of calls that reached that recording before long all our friends were using the new number. I am aware that you don't feel you need the landline so one optioin (after everything is working well) would be to "port" that number to ooma. Then your landline number would become the first line on your hub. If you subscribed to Premier on an annual basis and have not ported a number, it should be free - if not, it will cost $40. The porting process takes about 2 to 5 weeks and should disconnect your landline when the port is complete. Others with ATT can chime in here to give specifics. Again, I would not do this until you are satisfied with your ooma service quality.
#56688 by EXVISOR
Wed May 26, 2010 10:41 am
thanks i do apeciate the info <maybe do to age oe disability I tend to ask alot of questions before I jump in with both feet ,I just want to make sure what i'm doing is exceptable to my needs but you have explained to me and I get it so I thank you and everyone else ,im going to call now but I have a feeling I will be back because the only reason I went with a land line from att was becasue once I switched from cable to dsl ,not sure why but using there combo modem / router was terrible, i could here everyone that called but they could not here me, I have the felling that thats going to be the case again because it was never resolved ,when i used comcast cable it was perfect but there prices went up so high, for basic cable which is local chanels i can get with an atenna was 60.00 a month, there cable internet was 99.00 per month, the att 6.0 I found is not only cheaper at 42.00 a month but since they have the 6.0 which i have I find its faster then the cable and as far as tv I got an hd satlelight dish from them that is double the size of the normal little dish and those dont get mountd high up on the house, in fact mine was mounted aprx. three feet from the ground, when I questioned the installer he told me these get mounted low because of the new size and also it would take alot to break an hd signel and he was right because here in florida with all the heavy storms it has not gone out on me yet which is amazing and I get 250 channels for 47.99 a month which includes the insurence paln plus I got a free dvr which i love vs tivo, I can record 4 shows at one time
now I know i'm jumpingthe gun here but when this ooma was working offthe att I was using the hub not sure if thats whey I had such a bad signel or not but I fear even just using the hub and notthe scout I may still have the same bad signel so I hope theres a way to fix this unless the att system is just not made to work with ooma
#56697 by EXVISOR
Wed May 26, 2010 11:27 am
ok I guess is was the scout because now all is working fine without the scout ,i will worry about that down the road as I don't need it right now ,thanks all