Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#56637 by murphy
Tue May 25, 2010 5:35 pm
EXVISOR wrote:no did not work either way no phone service and the #1 and 2 light stay on as well as the play and fast foward
on the unit it states gateway 2wire

Play and fast forward mean that you activated to use with an integrated land line and it can't find the dial tone from your land line on the wall port.
#56641 by EXVISOR
Tue May 25, 2010 5:45 pm
any suggestions
if i bypassed using the intergrated system is there another way to use?
like i still have my cable modem as i bought it rather rented it but no cable, wonder if it can receive a signel from the intergrated unit and i work off the modem for the ooma ,sounds stupid but i thought i would ask
#56642 by murphy
Tue May 25, 2010 5:51 pm
EXVISOR wrote:any suggestions
if i bypassed using the intergrated system is there another way to use?
like i still have my cable modem as i bought it rather rented it but no cable, wonder if it can receive a signel from the intergrated unit and i work off the modem for the ooma ,sounds stupid but i thought i would ask

Call customer support and ask them to switch your service to the non-integrated land line mode.
The unit will then be a stand alone phone system.
#56643 by tommies
Tue May 25, 2010 5:53 pm
You still not clarify if you have land line integration, ie you have a backup land line which plugs into ooma WALL port before switching to DSL.

In this situation as Murphy suggested.
You should call CS and ask them to change your ooma to without a land line option. I the mean time, if you have what I call a DSL splitter, use it on the DSL jack, and connect the green DSL phone cord to the jack labeled DSL, and with a regular phone cord, connect the remain jack (labeled phone) to the ooma WALL port. See if your hub turn blue now.
#56645 by EXVISOR
Tue May 25, 2010 6:01 pm
i called them this morning as ive benn at it all day, its beating me up, its getting personal now, but any way when i spoke to them i told them the situation that i now have dsl phone and internet ,they changed my ooma number to the dsl number and suggested to me to use a splitter from the dsl line with one wire going to intergraded system and the other to the ooma wall unit because they said thats the ony way to get a signel to both, advised me not to use the dsl spliter but just a noramal spliter ,i just did that now and every thing is up and running but does it work correctly, i dont know i need to test it ,this morning i had problems
#56647 by southsound
Tue May 25, 2010 6:54 pm
Out of curiosity, do you really want to know how to fix things or do you just want to vent a little? If the latter, great. Vent away. If you want things to work properly, consider when you ask a group of experts on a user forum that they may actually have better advice than you received from some script-reading first-line rep who doesn't have 1/100 the experience of the folks who have been trying to help. You have already received some great advice from some of the best people on the forum. If you care to do so:

1. As murphy and tommies suggested - Call ooma and have them remove the landline integration. It works poorly with DSL.

2. Unplug anything that is connected to the WALL port on your ooma.

3. Plug a cordless base or corded phone into the PHONE port of the ooma.

4. Enjoy your ooma system.

5. If you want to distribute dialtone after performing the first 4 steps, we can help with that too. But it will require following instructions.

Nothing personal, just trying to help and relieve a MUTUAL frustration. :cool:
#56648 by EXVISOR
Tue May 25, 2010 7:06 pm
I know what you mean, everyone i spoke to today at ooma was reading frm a script, sorry i took so long to get back my power went off and just now came back on, question, by removing this like you say how does that help, i'm just trying to understand only because i was not only a mechanic but also a fabricater /welder as well as building wireharness on the line before i became disabled so any info i get from you will make me that much smarter doen the road
#56649 by EXVISOR
Tue May 25, 2010 7:19 pm
by the way just for kicks and giggles i hooked it up using a splitter like they told me this morning and everything worked except when you call my number which i did from my cell it does not ring at the house but rings like no one is home ,i know you all know your stuff , im just the guy that was taught not to ask ,when i first started out in my business as a helper before i got all my certifications as a helper it was taboo to ask for help ,in fact i still remember up to today which was 30 years ago, i was tolf to prtent i was on an island by my self and there ws no one to ask so figure it out, and i did even if it took me all day, i guess they called that the school of hard knocks and in the navy if you did not have what you needed you made it or found a way to make it work
#56650 by EXVISOR
Tue May 25, 2010 7:23 pm
i guess I just get frustrated now because of my disabilities i am limited in physical and mental thinking and trouble shooting due to all the medications i have to take, hard to expalin, its like loosing everything you learned or not being able to use what you learned so i hope i didnt affent anyone on here because thats not me ,im just use to a world where there is no tomorrow it must be fixed now
#56654 by southsound
Tue May 25, 2010 8:20 pm
OK, take a deep breath. I'm sorry I seemed harsh - I get that way sometimes and just need someone to slap me upside the head to bring me back to the real world. Please forgive me! :P

You know, this VoIP stuff may be rocket science, but there are a lot of us duffers who have managed to make it work and I think that's a goal for all of us - to help you be successful after all. For some reason, ooma has chosen to allow customers to use their landline as part of their ooma setup. For the life of me, I have a hard time finding any real advantages that can't be achieved otherwise - but they still keep on recommending it when you call in. That's a personal rant of mine because it actually drives customers away because it works so poorly.

From your experience as a wire harness fabricator, think of it like this: ooma gives you the option of either using your (ship/airplane/race car) in stand alone mode - where all you do is power it up and navigate to where you are going - or you can have an integrated power cord that needs to be plugged in. If you choose integration, it will limit you to the length of your power cord. I know this is an over simplification, but to me it makes your system much more limited. I think they do it because their original technical model and business plan required it - in the original ooma they actually completed calls using other user's landlines. This didn't last long thank goodness. But they kept the integration option - very strange.

I would like to see your system install accomplish a couple of things:

1. To have your ooma system work as it is advertised and provide great phone service including all offered features.

2. To relieve you of long distance charges and the need to have a landline (unless you can save money having one or want one for backup in case a power outage takes down your Internet). In my area, Qwest provides DSL and voice. If the power goes out, battery backup keeps the landline working with corded phones - but the DSL is not backed up so it goes dead. It is a nice thing to still have good phone service when the lights are out because my cell service is not the best where we live.

If you want to accomplish this, the first thing to do tomorrow morning is to call ooma at 888 711-6662 and have them remove the landline integration. If you gave up your ooma number, then ask for it back. Then, after they have done this, unplug your ooma and all the cables connected to it. I assume that your DSL modem/router is working OK for your computer now, but if not, connect it up like ATT said, with a cable going to the DSL jack on your wall to the appropiate port on the modem/router. If you can reach the Internet from a connected computer, then connect a cable from one of the Ethernet ports on the router to the Internet port on your ooma. Then connect up the ooma power supply. The ooma will go through a boot process and then be ready for action. If it is a hub (the white original unit) the little tab should turn blue. If it is a Telo, the lights should all be blue. Then plug a phone into the PHONE jack on the ooma device. Try making a call - you should hear the signature dialtone and be able to complete a call. You should be able to use a cell phone or your landline to call your ooma number and it should ring and be capable of completing the call. If this all works, then your system is working.

I don't believe you told us how you would like to use the system - with a multi-handset cordless or to distribute your dialtone throughout the house - but after you get things running by following the above, post your desires and we'll be able to walk you through making it all work. Your experience as a wire harness fabricator will make it a piece of cake to get it to work just the way you want it to.