Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#56516 by cbad
Mon May 24, 2010 1:35 pm
Hi-

I just setup my Telos yesterday. My home is completely wired, and I have RJ45 ports throughout the house. So when first setting it up, I took a modified Option 2B approach. I plugged the Telos "To Internet" port directly to the wall and left the "Home Network" port empty.

This isn't the recommended setup by Telos, but it seems to be working fine. Is this a reasonable setup that I can maintain? I used a Telos phone number yesterday, but my plan is to eventually map my current number onto Telos. This seems to be the least intrusive setup for network performance, which is very important to me. But I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up to losing phone calls or services. It is also way more convenient for the location of the Telos device itself.

One other thing, when I first got it working, it went through a series of reboots for the first half hour or hour. Then it settled down and has been consistently on ever since and not losing any calls. Was this normal, or should it be cause for concern?

Thanks!
#56527 by tommies
Mon May 24, 2010 2:25 pm
cbad wrote:Hi-

I just setup my Telos yesterday. My home is completely wired, and I have RJ45 ports throughout the house. So when first setting it up, I took a modified Option 2B approach. I plugged the Telos "To Internet" port directly to the wall and left the "Home Network" port empty.

This isn't the recommended setup by Telos, but it seems to be working fine. Is this a reasonable setup that I can maintain? I used a Telos phone number yesterday, but my plan is to eventually map my current number onto Telos. This seems to be the least intrusive setup for network performance, which is very important to me. But I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up to losing phone calls or services. It is also way more convenient for the location of the Telos device itself.

Yes, I have the same setup, ie the telo is behind my router, and all is in the basement. It works for me just fine.
One other thing, when I first got it working, it went through a series of reboots for the first half hour or hour. Then it settled down and has been consistently on ever since and not losing any calls. Was this normal, or should it be cause for concern?

Thanks!

Yes, this is normal, the telo just update to the newest firmware, and continue to do so, occasionally, in the future whenever newer firmware becomes available.
#56529 by murphy
Mon May 24, 2010 2:28 pm
cbad wrote:Hi-

The product is a Telo, not a Telos.

This configuration is fine, don't worry about it.

That's normal. It downloaded and installed the latest firmware.

Thanks!
#56532 by cbad
Mon May 24, 2010 2:58 pm
Thanks guys! Nice to get two thumbs up on both issues. I was hoping that was the case for each. :)