Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#56435 by greenhorn
Sun May 23, 2010 3:40 am
First I have a wireless modem, no router, and a phone system with four phones. One phone is a base plugged into the phone line and plugged into an outlet. The other three are just plugged into outlets. All four hand sets are wireless.
While activating my ooma the directions said if I wanted to use my same number with multiple phones I had to plug into the WALL socket on the ooma. So I stop registering and plugged my base phone into the WALL socket, along with coneccting the ooma to my motem and plugged both the ooma and base phone into outlets.
I then continued with the directions trying to find a second phone number in my area code and prefex. There were none and so I skipped that step and completed the activation.
I had all lights blue with the right arrow light blinking red so I pushed it and recieved a congradulation message that I was connected and all lights went blue.
But there is no dial tone on any of my phones. I tried calling my home number from my cell phone but the call would not go through, no ring, no voice mail, nothing. Any ideas???
#56436 by murphy
Sun May 23, 2010 3:48 am
The dial tone comes from the phone port, not the wall port.
The wall port is used to connect an existing landline to the Ooma box.
If you selected landline integration, this connection is required.
#56443 by southsound
Sun May 23, 2010 7:36 am
When ooma talks about multiple phones they really mean multiple WIRED phones or multiple cordless base systems. What you are using is basically seen as one phone by ooma since it only has one phone cable going between your base and the 4 handsets connect to the base. I have a similar Uniden 4-handset system.

As murphy brought out, it seems like you are using your old number with the ooma. In other words, when you activated your system, you selected to use your existing number and that requires that you keep that line active and connected to the ooma box through the WALL port. Many of us on the forum do not like that configuration and recommend against it. (See my signature for my thoughts on integrated landlines.) Since there are no local numbers in your area, you may wish to keep it, but be aware that many of the ooma features normally available will either be limited or unavailable. The choice between integrated landline and stand alone can only be changed by ooma customer service after being set up by the enduser. Some folks with a similar situation use a local Google Voice number and forward it to the out-of-area ooma number. I've been using GV for almost a year now as a front end for my ooma system. But I don't want to confuse things with GV until we get you up and running. We can discuss that issue later when you can get dialtone.

Is your cordless base plugged into the PHONE jack on the ooma? If so, it should be getting (and sending to the handsets) dialtone. Let us know about the landline integration issue and we can give you additional advice.
#56454 by lbmofo
Sun May 23, 2010 12:59 pm
southsound wrote:Friends don't let friends use Landline Integration

LOL, good one!
#56455 by greenhorn
Sun May 23, 2010 1:46 pm
Thank you for your responses. I now understand although having 4 phones ooma recognizes just one since three of them are interacting with just the one base unit. Murphy I am a bit confused with your response. First I definitely need to retain our phone # which we have had for 45 years. Your first sentence you stated: "The dial tone comes from the phone port, not the wall port" But then you stated: " the wall port is used to connect an existing land line to the ooma". Again I absolutely need to connect my existing land line phone # to the ooma so which port should I use the wall or the phone port? Please know you are dealing with an old grandpa who's brain input port filters out tech talk entirely. Example "Lineline intergration" Thank you all again
#56456 by greenhorn
Sun May 23, 2010 1:52 pm
Oh one other question. Why do I need a second phone #. I do like the features in the Premier package so does that require another phone #
#56458 by murphy
Sun May 23, 2010 2:31 pm
There are two activation choices.
In the first you keep your existing landline and continue to pay that landline phone bill.
In this mode you connect a phone cable from your existing landline phone jack to the wall port of the Ooma box.
You connect your phones to the phone port of the Ooma box.
I and many others would never select this method.

In the second you get a temporary phone number from Ooma and don't connect anything to the wall port of the Ooma box.
Your phones are still connected to the phone port of the Ooma box.
You port (transfer) your existing landline phone number to Ooma. When the port completes the number that you ported replaces the temporary number. Your landline is automatically canceled and you no longer have that bill to pay.
#56460 by greenhorn
Sun May 23, 2010 3:15 pm
Wow thank you Murpy,
I was confusing keeping an existing landline with keeping an existing phone number. I do not want to continue paying for a phone bill so I will then connect my phone base to the phone jack on the ooma but should I wait until tommorrow to call an ooma tech for a temporary phone # ? When I activated my ooma I did let them know I wanted to keep my old phone # and I did get a verbal message I was good to go.

Maybe I am also confused with requesting a second phone # in my area with the temporary # ooma uses to connect me. Thanks again for your reply Murphy