Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#56100 by rickharp
Thu May 20, 2010 3:02 am
would a Scout work with a Telo, instead of buying a full 2nd Telo?
Would the first line roll over (hunt) to the second line, if i had two Telo's and the first line was being used.
Should i just downgrade to the older hub that has this ability already (Scout is base for 2nd line).
To confirm, the only way a Telo can support a second roll over line is with a Telo handset? or are some of the above options a work around.
remember, I have a 2 line base with 6 handsets around the house. Would really like to continue this setup instead of buying 3 more telo handsets and dispursing another handset around the house.
sounds like a Hub and Scout is the way to go.

one last thing: on Amazon, the handset reveiws were more negetive than positive. Could it be assumed that the negetive reviews were for an earlier version of the handset and that the one selling on Amaz is the updated version.
#56102 by rickharp
Thu May 20, 2010 3:56 am
another idea:
if I had one Telo, plugged into the Panson system, and a call is in progress. a second call comes in, i hear the alert, and tell my wife to pickup the phone. i hear her pickup on my line, but she then "flashes" her phone. would she then be able to attend to the 2nd line.
#56104 by JasonV
Thu May 20, 2010 4:10 am
I guess my other post was lost or it was a solicitation regarding ideas for your fax. I think the problem is the roll over capacity. I don't believe it is possible with the Telo. The Telo has 2 line capacity, one with the shared port and the other with the Telo handset. But I don't believe if you placed for example your main phone # on the Telo handset and someone called while you were speaking on the Telo handset would roll over to the shared port line (jack input on the back). I would wait for others to comment on that. The other negative is that you are to the mercy of the Telo handset, as you mentioned negative reviews. You want to be on the phone and it will ring on another line (rolled over) with your existing phone set. With your existing phone setup it will not work. It will work with the Telo handset, but I am not certain if it is more like a call waiting or really would ring on the shared port. I will let other comment. I am in the porting process and haven't used it to test the full function.
#56107 by murphy
Thu May 20, 2010 5:38 am
rickharp wrote:another idea:
if I had one Telo, plugged into the Panson system, and a call is in progress. a second call comes in, i hear the alert, and tell my wife to pickup the phone. i hear her pickup on my line, but she then "flashes" her phone. would she then be able to attend to the 2nd line.

No.
You must use an Ooma handset to access the second line.
#56108 by murphy
Thu May 20, 2010 5:44 am
rickharp wrote:would a Scout work with a Telo, instead of buying a full 2nd Telo?
No.

Would the first line roll over (hunt) to the second line, if i had two Telo's and the first line was being used.
No.

Should i just downgrade to the older hub that has this ability already (Scout is base for 2nd line).
If you can find one. I think they are out of production.

To confirm, the only way a Telo can support a second roll over line is with a Telo handset?
Yes.

or are some of the above options a work around.
No.

remember, I have a 2 line base with 6 handsets around the house. Would really like to continue this setup instead of buying 3 more telo handsets and dispursing another handset around the house.
sounds like a Hub and Scout is the way to go.
It's the way I went.

one last thing: on Amazon, the handset reveiws were more negetive than positive. Could it be assumed that the negetive reviews were for an earlier version of the handset and that the one selling on Amaz is the updated version.
There is only one version of the handset. It has been improved by continual firmware updates.
#56109 by Groundhound
Thu May 20, 2010 5:49 am
The Scout does not work with the Telo, so if you want two wired lines your options are to use two Telos or a Hub+Scout. With two Telos there is no roll-over, the two units operate independently of each other - you could plug each one into your two-line phone but there would be no call-waiting or other interoperability between them.

If you use a Hub+Scout and set the Scout as a Personal Device so the second number has its own voicemail and other Premier features, you will not have roll-over between the numbers. It is possible to answer the primary number from the Scout in this case but Personal Device assignment with either the Hub+Scout or Telo+Telo Handset makes the two numbers behave independently for the most part.

It's important to remember with Premier that lines and numbers are not the same thing. You can have two simultaneous calls (on different devices) on the same number or on two different numbers. For what most folks consider as roll-over between two numbers, you probably don't want to use a Personal Device with assigned number, but instead have both numbers share all devices, regardless of whether you're talking about the Telo+Telo Handset or the Hub+Scout systems. That way if someone calls in on either number while a call is in progress it will ring the other shared devices (Scouts or Telo Handsets). But if both numbers are shared you only have the one voicemail account.

A device is defined in this case as either the phone port on the Hub or Scout; or the phone port on a Telo or a Telo Handset.
#56176 by rickharp
Thu May 20, 2010 12:56 pm
OK, after doing some more reading, I've changed my direction a bit. We both each have an iphone, and yes, they sit on the charger when we come home, and yes they have free nights and weekends. So, the new cordless expandable bluetooth enabled phone systems, like the brand new Panasonic KX-TG6582T DECT 6.0 PLUS Link-to-Cell Bluetooth Convergence Solution with 2 Handsets looks to be what will give me a few more options and comforts.

I'll port the one number over to the ooma Telo, and that will be my "landline" and then when the iphones are within range of the base, they become two more lines, and the Panos will allow for two lines to be used at the same time. The present cordless sytem i have will not work, but i like the idea of the cell phone calls ringing throughout the house. This new Panasonic system appears to be a second generation, and super new. According to Amazon, target will have it for even less soon. I've learned a lot here and appreciate the comments. Thanks
#56179 by murphy
Thu May 20, 2010 1:37 pm
The Telo will soon have the ability to link a cell phone to the Telo phones using an Ooma branded bluetooth adapter that plugs into the USB port on the Telo. Incoming calls on the cell phone will ring the phones connected to the Telo.
#56235 by rickharp
Fri May 21, 2010 5:02 am
From what I read, it will sync with 3 cell phones. I assume one adaptor will sync 3 phones. cool. when will it be available.