Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#55680 by JasonV
Sun May 16, 2010 5:38 am
Can some of you share your ideas with me regarding having 2 real dedicated phone lines. I have a premier account and would like to achieve the following:

Line 1, with own caller id, using the Telo voicemail system
Line 2, with own caller id, using an at-home answering machine

I want both lines always to be available for outgoing and incoming voice (not fax) phone calls and each to have their own caller id's. Can I accomplish this with one Telo or do I need to get a second Telo? I have the Telo handset and really don't want to be bothered by the second line; meaning no call waiting desired or hearing it ring. How have some of you utilized the Telo's capabilities?
#55683 by murphy
Sun May 16, 2010 5:58 am
JasonV wrote:Can some of you share your ideas with me regarding having 2 real dedicated phone lines. I have a premier account and would like to achieve the following:

Line 1, with own caller id, using the Telo voicemail system
Line 2, with own caller id, using an at-home answering machine

I want both lines always to be available for outgoing and incoming voice (not fax) phone calls and each to have their own caller id's. Can I accomplish this with one Telo or do I need to get a second Telo? I have the Telo handset and really don't want to be bothered by the second line; meaning no call waiting desired or hearing it ring. How have some of you utilized the Telo's capabilities?

To drive two physical phone lines with the Telo product you need two Telo bases.
Note that so far incoming DTMF does not work so you will be unable to remotely control an answering machine.
#55690 by Groundhound
Sun May 16, 2010 8:19 am
JasonV wrote:Can some of you share your ideas with me regarding having 2 real dedicated phone lines. I have a premier account and would like to achieve the following:

Line 1, with own caller id, using the Telo voicemail system
Line 2, with own caller id, using an at-home answering machine

I want both lines always to be available for outgoing and incoming voice (not fax) phone calls and each to have their own caller id's. Can I accomplish this with one Telo or do I need to get a second Telo? I have the Telo handset and really don't want to be bothered by the second line; meaning no call waiting desired or hearing it ring. How have some of you utilized the Telo's capabilities?

If by "True 2 line" you mean both lines being wired for use with any phone, then what murphy stated is indeed the only option with Telo. If wired access to the second line is not imperative you could assign the second line to your Telo Handset as a personal device. Inbound calls would only ring that handset and you would not hear a call waiting signal on the first line for calls inbound to line 2. You would have to use Ooma's voicemail instead of an answering machine for the second line but it would have its own VM account with my.ooma login separate from the first line's VM account. The second line would also have its own outbound caller ID. This is included with Premier.
#55691 by JasonV
Sun May 16, 2010 8:46 am
Thanks for the response. Are you saying that with one Telo it is possible to have 2 voice mail accounts with the Premier service without being charged another $9.95 per month? I suggested in my original post an in-house machine, but I really don't care if it is free. I just need two seperate caller ID's, 2 different voice mail (one residential-my wife can access & one for my clients - only for me) and the ability to have 2 phone handsets that don't interfere. I don't want to hear the residential phone and voicemail during the day and no problems receiving and making calls to clients with my caller ID. Do you suggest just porting the second phone # over and using one Telo? I know that there would be a $39.95 charge to port the additional line (already got the first for free with Premier service). I don't need the phones to be available throughout the house, just at the Telo (meaning no need to have dial tone at other jacks). Whats your thoughts?
#55697 by Groundhound
Sun May 16, 2010 10:27 am
JasonV wrote:Thanks for the response. Are you saying that with one Telo it is possible to have 2 voice mail accounts with the Premier service without being charged another $9.95 per month? I suggested in my original post an in-house machine, but I really don't care if it is free. I just need two seperate caller ID's, 2 different voice mail (one residential-my wife can access & one for my clients - only for me) and the ability to have 2 phone handsets that don't interfere. I don't want to hear the residential phone and voicemail during the day and no problems receiving and making calls to clients with my caller ID. Do you suggest just porting the second phone # over and using one Telo? I know that there would be a $39.95 charge to port the additional line (already got the first for free with Premier service). I don't need the phones to be available throughout the house, just at the Telo (meaning no need to have dial tone at other jacks). Whats your thoughts?

Yes, you can have two voicemail accounts without paying for anything more beyond what you're already paying for Premier. You just have to make your Telo Handset a "Personal Device" in my.ooma then assign your second number to it. You will set a new password for your second my.ooma account for managing the voicemail for that account. You can port your second number over (for the required porting fee), just make sure customer service understands that it will be your second number on your Premier account. Your Telo Handset will handle that number for inbound and outbound calls, and your main number will not be interfered with. Outbound calls from the assigned Telo Handset will have that second number show for Caller ID by default.
#55741 by oomg
Mon May 17, 2010 6:42 am
IMHO, segregating the lines is one of the advantages of the Hub/Scout. Not only can you dedicate the numbers as has been suggested, but two separate calls can be made at the same time using either number. In my particular situation, I have my "first" (or primary) number on the Hub, and my "second" number on a dedicated scout. A cordless base station with multiple handsets dispersed strategically throughout the home is attached to the hub at my personal desk. The dedicated Scout is also at my desk. Thus, both numbers are available to me at the desk. The first number is also distributed throughout the home to two other Scouts, one of which has a separate cordless base station with multiple handsets attached, and the second in my son's bedroom with his own cordless base station. So long as I am not on my dedicated second number, two separate calls (incoming or outgoing) can take place on the primary number so long as different cordless systems are used. Thus, while the Telo has some new features, I believe there should be an option to add a device like the existing Scout in order to maximize its overall efficiency.
#55746 by Groundhound
Mon May 17, 2010 7:10 am
oomg wrote:IMHO, segregating the lines is one of the advantages of the Hub/Scout. Not only can you dedicate the numbers as has been suggested, but two separate calls can be made at the same time using either number. In my particular situation, I have my "first" (or primary) number on the Hub, and my "second" number on a dedicated scout. A cordless base station with multiple handsets dispersed strategically throughout the home is attached to the hub at my personal desk. The dedicated Scout is also at my desk. Thus, both numbers are available to me at the desk. The first number is also distributed throughout the home to two other Scouts, one of which has a separate cordless base station with multiple handsets attached, and the second in my son's bedroom with his own cordless base station. So long as I am not on my dedicated second number, two separate calls (incoming or outgoing) can take place on the primary number so long as different cordless systems are used. Thus, while the Telo has some new features, I believe there should be an option to add a device like the existing Scout in order to maximize its overall efficiency.

Yes, wired access to the second line is an advantage to the Hub/Scout system. So as not to confuse what the OP wanted to know, the features he requested are available with the Telo/Telo Handset he already owns.
#55805 by JasonV
Mon May 17, 2010 4:56 pm
Thanks Groundhound! It makes sense now after you explained that I can have 2 voicemails. The one confusion was that there is one outlet on the Telo for a phone system, but you have an additional with the Telo handset. Again, you explained it the way I needed. Thanks for all the support to all the newer Ooma owners!
#56087 by rickharp
Wed May 19, 2010 7:09 pm
My desire is similar. I am a new Telo user, with two landlines now, and a 2 line wireless base unit with multi handsets (panasonic), and a few wired phones. I am ok letting my second land line go away for good, and porting my first landline to my premier account, but would like to have the ooma second line feature ring into or onto the Panasonic 2nd line, or be able to use the Panasonic 2nd line to make calls.

I would like to use Panasonics voice mail options but could be ok with the ooma voice mail. only need voice mail on the first line. would like the ability to send a fax on one line or the other, if that is possible. I am ok disconnecting the lines from the wired att phone system and maintain a ooma exclusive wired house.

from what i read, i need a second telo as a scout does not work with a telo, and a telo handset does not have an option to plug the second line into the 2nd line of the panasonic IN.

would this setup (two telo's) both hooked into a 2 line Pan base unit, one premier account, allow me to use both lines, and if so, would a call waiting call come in on the second line and ring the panasonic 2nd line. If so, I'd be ok with buying two telo's. Thanks
#56088 by Groundhound
Wed May 19, 2010 7:18 pm
rickharp wrote:My desire is similar. I am a new Telo user, with two landlines now, and a 2 line wireless base unit with multi handsets (panasonic), and a few wired phones. I am ok letting my second land line go away for good, and porting my first landline to my premier account, but would like to have the ooma second line feature ring into or onto the Panasonic 2nd line, or be able to use the Panasonic 2nd line to make calls.

I would like to use Panasonics voice mail options but could be ok with the ooma voice mail. only need voice mail on the first line. would like the ability to send a fax on one line or the other, if that is possible. I am ok disconnecting the lines from the wired att phone system and maintain a ooma exclusive wired house.

from what i read, i need a second telo as a scout does not work with a telo, and a telo handset does not have an option to plug the second line into the 2nd line of the panasonic IN.

would this setup (two telo's) both hooked into a 2 line Pan base unit, one premier account, allow me to use both lines, and if so, would a call waiting call come in on the second line and ring the panasonic 2nd line. If so, I'd be ok with buying two telo's. Thanks

If I understand your needs correctly, you would require two Telos for two wired lines to your Panasonic two-line phone. I don't think you would need Premier unless you wanted it for other features like call forwarding, blacklists, etc. The two lines would be independent of each other.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests