Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#55616 by Shawn
Sat May 15, 2010 5:29 am
The MAC address of the Telo unit is shown on the label stick to the bottom of the unit. I have my router between the cable modem and the Telo. I set the Qos on the router using the MAC address on the Telo label. With this setup, I don't have much sound quality issues even when I am doing heavy up and downloading with my computer. When I was adjusting the setting for the router today, I just happened to look at the the devices attached to the router. I was surprised to see the MAC address of the Telo was not on the list. I switched off the Telo and checked the device list again. One of the devices disappeared. I switched the Telo on again and that device showed up again. Therefore, I am sure that is the Telo unit.
My question is if the MAC address on the label is wrong, what about the serial number and the activation code? How does Ooma communicate with my unit? Why I did not have sound quality issue without really setting the Qos? Or am I missing something?
#55618 by murphy
Sat May 15, 2010 5:38 am
The MAC address on the label is the MAC address of the Home port. The MAC address of the Internet port is one higher.
It defaults to spoofing the MAC address of whatever is connected to the Home port. IMHO that was (is) a stupid decision. There is no need for MAC spoofing anymore.

Connect to the Ooma setup page (http://setup.ooma.com) from a computer that is connected to the Home port of Ooma either directly or through a router.

Click on the Network tab.
Click on the radio button that says Use built in MAC address.
Click on Update.
Turn off modem, Ooma, and Router.
Turn on modem and wait until it syncs with your ISP.
Turn on Ooma and wait till it completes start up.
Turn on the router.
#62883 by roadshow
Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:51 am
I'm confused. I have "Automatic: selected, but the address is exactly the same as "Use Built In" Changing the setting seems to have no effect at all. Am I missing something?
#62884 by murphy
Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:10 am
roadshow wrote:I'm confused. I have "Automatic: selected, but the address is exactly the same as "Use Built In" Changing the setting seems to have no effect at all. Am I missing something?

If you leave it in the automatic mode at some point in the future it will decide that it wants to use the MAC address of the device that is connected to the Home port. What the criteria is for doing this is unknown. If this happens your Ooma will go off line because if the MAC address of the device connected to a cable modem changes, the cable modem will ignore it until the cable modem is power cycled. That's how cable companies keep you from pulling more than one IP address from them.
It's not a problem if the Ooma is behind your router since a router doesn't care how many devices are connected to it as long as the total doesn't exceed the size of the DHCP table.