Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#54980 by michaeld
Fri May 07, 2010 7:14 pm
I have a new Telo that is working fine but I am trying to figure out what the wall port is used for. From other posts it seems that it is used to integrate a 2nd landline. I have am existing setup where the Telo feeds dialtone to all my house phones plus a wireless ooma phone.
What I want to do now is connecy my 2nd line to the wall port but I cannot find out what features or functionality this provides.
I tried talking with customer service but they cannot seem to explain it. All they say is it integrates the landline into the ooma phone port. but I want to know what does this mean?? Can I use the wireless phone to also access the 2nd line?
If the 2nd line has incoming call, will it ring to the wireless and other phones on the phone port?

Any other features?

thanks
#54982 by feartheturtle
Fri May 07, 2010 8:21 pm
michaeld wrote: ~~~ From other posts it seems that it is used to integrate a 2nd landline. ~~~ I tried talking with customer service but they cannot seem to explain it. All they say is it integrates the landline into the ooma phone port. ~~~
Any other features?

thanks

OK, so the info above is condensed a bit from your initial post, but the sad truth is, all the wall port does is exactly what CS told you. Nothing more. Maybe someday; but if you need a 2nd line now, you will need to integrate a Telo handset into your system.
#54994 by michaeld
Sat May 08, 2010 7:45 am
OK, so if I understand it then, all it does is when the internet goes down, it allows any phone on the phone port plus any ooma wireless to access the 2nd line dial tone and make calls, correct?
#54995 by southsound
Sat May 08, 2010 7:59 am
michaeld wrote:OK, so if I understand it then, all it does is when the internet goes down, it allows any phone on the phone port plus any ooma wireless to access the 2nd line dial tone and make calls, correct?

Your assumption above is flawed. Let me be very clear so that there is no misunderstanding:

For MOST people, the Telo WALL port has NO value. Just leave it empty. For those who were unfortunate enough to use it to integrate thelr landline (which means you do not have an ooma number but use your old number) it has very limited value. In the case of an integrated landline, incoming calls come from your existing landline to the WALL jack. The Telo then sends the calls out to the PHONE port or the Telo handset using DECT 6.0 technology. Unless you have Premier and have provisioned your landline (at an added cost from your telephone company) you do not have access to a second line. And if you don't have call waiting and other provisioning on that landline, you only get one call and (I believe) a second goes to busy signal. As to backup, yes, if the Internet goes down, you can use phones connected to the PHONE port. But NOT if you lose power. The Telo lacks a relay to allow your system to act as a backup if the power goes out. You also lose a lot of nice features when using an integrated landline. If your system is set up that way, I recommend calling ooma and having them give you a new ooma number and undoing the landline integration.

Most of us who have a landline (myself included) have chosen to keep it separate from the ooma system. If you like your number and want to keep using it for a main number, just have your telephone company set up call forwarding all calls to your ooma number. Then calls will ring on the Telo with no porting required. In case of a power failure, just connect a corded phone to the landline jack and you are all set.

Almost forgot - welcome to ooma and to the forum! We're glad you're here!
#55000 by michaeld
Sat May 08, 2010 8:13 am
Well, my total situation is this.
I currently have
1. A ooma phone# which feeds dialtone to all my personal phones in the house thru the phone port (this works fine)
2.A telo handset
3. a landline that I use for my business.

What I was hoping to do was connect my business landline to the wall port, which I want to keep, so that I could access both incoming and outgoing from the personal phones on the phone port and telo handset.

It sorta sounds from your explanation this might work??
#55536 by bw1
Fri May 14, 2010 9:15 am
michaeld wrote:Well, my total situation is this.
I currently have
1. A ooma phone# which feeds dialtone to all my personal phones in the house thru the phone port (this works fine)
2.A telo handset
3. a landline that I use for my business.

What I was hoping to do was connect my business landline to the wall port, which I want to keep, so that I could access both incoming and outgoing from the personal phones on the phone port and telo handset.

It sorta sounds from your explanation this might work??

Nope, that won't work. An integrated landline has to be configured by customer support or at the time of activation. Without that, the wall port doesn't do anything.

You could integrate your landline (business line) and subscribe to Premier to keep your Ooma phone number (personal line) as the second number available with Premier.

Then any call to either phone number would ring all the phones connected to the phone port on the Ooma along with all the Telo handsets. And you could set up distinctive ring to distinguish between calls to the 2 phone numbers.

But all your calls from both numbers would go to the same voicemail box. You could setup a Telo handset as a personal device for one of the 2 numbers and then you'd have separate voicemail boxes for both numbers. But then you'd have calls to that 2nd number going to only that Telo handset and not all phones.

All outgoing calls would use your landline business phone number for outgoing caller id, unless you preceded each outgoing personal call with **1 to use the Ooma phone number.

Also, unless you dial **1, local outgoing and 911 calls will be through your landline service. Only long distance calls will be through the Ooma service. And you give up much of the included functionality like caller id and call waiting from Ooma.

Your best option may be to get a two line cordless phone system and plug one line into the Ooma phone port and the other line into your landline.
#68549 by alexcychung
Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:50 pm
I love the fact that I am able to make international calls at a very affordable price, much like how easy it is to use an Android phone with Google Voice to do it. I was so happy to see this product and thought how great it would in my house, and got it.

I have two different topics to ask...

1)
So currently I have not been using Ooma because my network has been going through some upgrades. My current network has Multi-Wan with load balance and fail over, and i'm running this with pfSense (pfsense.org for more info). Will this work with Ooma? How does Ooma send/recieve data? Should I set the IP for the Ooma?
Or is Ooma more like HTTPS sites where you cannot load balance, and you should only use one WAN connection for the whole visit, in Ooma's case a call? (this is a viable option, too, i'm just curious as which I should do)

2)
You noted that the best option is to get a cordless phone system with a second line.

My issue is like many here, I live in a dead zone, so If my internet goes down, so does my ATT Microcell and as will my internet (although I have put a battery backup on my network to last me a few minutes to make any emergency calls needed--haven't tried to see if it works).
Thus I would love to have a land line available to me, but only as a back up if Ooma has no dial tone.

So, long story short, is it possible to have 2 land lines, and ONLY use the 2nd line if there is no dial tone on the first line (ooma). And even NOT use the 2nd line if the 1st line is busy, unless it is an emergency? Because I'd like to just get the very bare bone minimum for my second line as its sole purpose would be to make emergency calls if there was an outage or if calls like 911 were made.
#68986 by bw1
Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:33 pm
alexcychung wrote:So, long story short, is it possible to have 2 land lines, and ONLY use the 2nd line if there is no dial tone on the first line (ooma). And even NOT use the 2nd line if the 1st line is busy, unless it is an emergency? Because I'd like to just get the very bare bone minimum for my second line as its sole purpose would be to make emergency calls if there was an outage or if calls like 911 were made.

You mean an Ooma line and a landline? You can have both separate (don't integrate the Ooma with your landline) and keep separate phones for each line.

If I remember correctly, if you have an Ooma Hub, you can plug your landline into the wall port and if your power or internet connection goes out, the Ooma will switch the phones connected to the phone port over to the landline dialtone. The Telo doesn't have the physical switch that allows the same capability.