Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#54961 by Freelander
Fri May 07, 2010 11:57 am
OK -- so I've been on the phone twice with Verizon to request a dry loop to separate my landline from DSL and they have put me on hold only to lose me back to their mainline each time , so I have no answer ( :cry: --- it appears for some reason it may not be possible for them to do the dry loop --I already have a port request in to Ooma for my current number ---

What are my opitions if they cannot separate ?
#54969 by scoutconnor
Fri May 07, 2010 3:16 pm
They CAN separate the services. If they cannot help you through Cust. Service, call 1 (212) 395-1000. Ask to speak with "Ivan G. Seidenberg " (The CEO of Verizon Communications).
Although you won't speak with the CEO, that isn't your goal. just describe your situation and they'll direct you to the executive support team (Based in the USA no less!)
I can assure you, they will help you REAL fast.
Hope I helped.
#54973 by tommies
Fri May 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Try again and tell them you want to port your number to another (voip) carrier and keep their DSL service
According to these posts Verizon will convert to dry loop DSL behind the scene but the cost will be different.
#55161 by Freelander
Mon May 10, 2010 9:02 am
Thank you all very much --good advice and info here ---

I was prepared for the worse when I called again, but this Verizon CS said the DSL would automatically switch to dry loop when the port occurred (same as other poster in the other thread) --

We'll see ..I'll report back ...
#57131 by oomaiduser
Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:19 pm
Hello,

I am trying to port my number from Qwest to ooma. I have a DSL connection and voice thru QWEST. The porting page has a option where I need to click that phone line does not get DSL service on it. I have read on other threads that Qwest assigns a dummy number to the DSL line and ports over the voice number.

Does that mean I can tick the " There is no DSL service associated with this phone number " button. Could other users who have ported from Qwest and had both DSL and voice with Qwest chime in as to what they did.

TIA
#58549 by lhight
Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:10 am
This may be too late for some of you. But I thought I'd answer anyway. I have Qwest and up until recently I had both phone and dsl service through them. When I ported my number, I too was worried about Qwest separating my lines so that I wouldn't have any problems. I called customer service. They said they do this on the day of the port and that I didn't have to worry about doing anything. So, I trusted them. Hard to do, but there wasn't more I could do. And to my surprise, the day of the port was probably the smoothest aspect of switching to Ooma so far. Port worked, and I still had internet. I didn't even notice so much as a hiccup. NO Problems.

So, yes, when signing up for your port, check the box "there is no dsl associated with this number."
#58697 by schillit
Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:07 pm
I am in a pickle because I didn't know any of these options before activiating my OOMA, so I just picked to get a new phone #. Well, now I am trying to "disassociate" or get dry loop DSL from QWEST, and they are not cooperating..so I don't know what to do at this point. I am irritated at OOMA, because the instructions were not given at the time of activiation, otherwise I would have done the right thing. So, I don't know what I am supposed to do next...very annoyed probalby just going to send back my OOMA at this point....
#61278 by lbmofo
Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:00 pm
schillit wrote:I am in a pickle because I didn't know any of these options before activiating my OOMA, so I just picked to get a new phone #. Well, now I am trying to "disassociate" or get dry loop DSL from QWEST, and they are not cooperating..so I don't know what to do at this point. I am irritated at OOMA, because the instructions were not given at the time of activiation, otherwise I would have done the right thing. So, I don't know what I am supposed to do next...very annoyed probalby just going to send back my OOMA at this point....

What did you end up doing? Did you initiate the port without having dry loop?