Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#54790 by Freelander
Wed May 05, 2010 4:47 am
I tried to install the Ooma Telo the past couple of nights without much luck -- including letting it sit while blinking fast for about 1/2 hour...for some reason the "internet" light on the modem does not light up. I am hooking directly to the wall where my DSL line typically goes from the modem.

Any suggestions?
#54792 by DTMF
Wed May 05, 2010 5:31 am
The Telo is not a modem, it has to have a modem in front of it. You have to connect the modem to the "wall" and the Telo to the modem.

Internet coming from the wall -> Modem -> Telo
#54795 by DTMF
Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 am
Freelander wrote:So I need a splitter on the modem for two phone lines?
No, that won't help. Here's a better version of my diagram above that I think will answer the question.

Internet coming from the wall -> Modem -> Telo -> Whatever was previously plugged into the modem (before you acquired the Telo) should now plug into the "Home Network" jack on the Telo.
#54828 by Freelander
Wed May 05, 2010 1:41 pm
DTMF wrote:
No, that won't help. Here's a better version of my diagram above that I think will answer the question.

Internet coming from the wall -> Modem -> Telo -> Whatever was previously plugged into the modem (before you acquired the Telo) should now plug into the "Home Network" jack on the Telo.

thank you DTMF --that worked --now I just need to figure out how to "recieve" calls...
#54855 by DTMF
Thu May 06, 2010 5:36 am
Freelander wrote:
DTMF wrote:

thank you DTMF --that worked --now I just need to figure out how to "recieve" calls...
Does that mean you are making calls from a telephone plugged into the Telo's "phone" jack, but incoming calls aren't ringing on that telephone?
#54869 by Freelander
Thu May 06, 2010 8:45 am
Does that mean you are making calls from a telephone plugged into the Telo's "phone" jack, but incoming calls aren't ringing on that telephone?

That's correct. The phone is a cheap ATT one -- I'm sure its something simple I'm missing --- I talked to Ooma tech and they said if I was able to make a call using the phone (I called them with it) it should be working and that I should check the volume control for the phone I'm using (call manufacturer if needed they said)--The volume appeared to be on max. Do I need to settup the Ooma voicemail? If its ringing and I cant hear it, shouldn't it be putting on voicemail anyway? but it just rings and rings ...
#54870 by DTMF
Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 am
Freelander wrote:

That's correct. The phone is a cheap ATT one -- I'm sure its something simple I'm missing --- I talked to Ooma tech and they said if I was able to make a call using the phone (I called them with it) it should be working and that I should check the volume control for the phone I'm using (call manufacturer if needed they said)--The volume appeared to be on max. Do I need to settup the Ooma voicemail? If its ringing and I cant hear it, shouldn't it be putting on voicemail anyway? but it just rings and rings ...
It shouldn't matter how or if your voicemail is set up. If calls never go to voicemail, that's a clear indication that your account is not set up correctly on Ooma's end. I believe you're correct to suspect that it may also be the same reason that incoming calls aren't ringing.
#54875 by ntoy
Thu May 06, 2010 10:08 am
Hello Freelander,

Your account is registered as Landline. I do not see any log files for your telo?
Are the lights blue on yor telo? If so, you may have security/firewall enabled on your modem or router.
When you pickup the receiver that is connected to your telo, do you hear Ooma dialtone or just your landline dialtone?
#54933 by Freelander
Fri May 07, 2010 6:03 am
ntoy wrote:Hello Freelander,

Your account is registered as Landline. I do not see any log files for your telo?
Are the lights blue on yor telo? If so, you may have security/firewall enabled on your modem or router.
When you pickup the receiver that is connected to your telo, do you hear Ooma dialtone or just your landline dialtone?

Telo is blue and yes, I hear the Ooma dialtone.

While I have you... it appears my current phone number can not be ported. So, what is the best way to proceed given by phone and DSL are on the same line?