Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#55718 by tommies
Sun May 16, 2010 5:22 pm
For now you can look at the outside coaxial cable (from the box into the house).

Is it a RG-11 cable? or how old is it, in term of 5, 10, 15 years?
Is it grounded properly?
Is the moisture gotten inside the cable? This is hard to tell by just looking at it.

Call your isp and show them all your stat. so far, then ask for a technician come to measure the signal at the tap (ie. at the cable box) and at the entry into the house. This step is to test the outside cable. I had this done at my house around 5-6 years ago, and the technician told me the house need a new line, a RG-11 cable. Till earlier this year, Comcast come to realize that to gain me a new customer, they have to give my house a new RG-11 and they did. There is no magic, I just tried Comcast and cancel their service after one week, and I did it every year. Tough luck on you if the cable is indeed the source of your problem.

PS.
So far I'm happy with Comcast and the quality is very good.
#55720 by sfhub
Sun May 16, 2010 5:56 pm
tommies wrote:I had this done at my house around 5-6 years ago, and the technician told me the house need a new line, a RG-11 cable. Till earlier this year, Comcast come to realize that to gain me a new customer, they have to give my house a new RG-11 and they did.

Curious, RG-11 to your house or in your house? The latter is pretty aggressive unless you have a huge sprawling house.
#55740 by tommies
Mon May 17, 2010 6:16 am
The RG-11 is out side the house, and it changes to RG-6 at the entry into the house. The old cable was buried when the house was build in the early 80's. BTW, inside the house, it's the owner responsibility
#55767 by sfhub
Mon May 17, 2010 11:39 am
tommies wrote:BTW, inside the house, it's the owner responsibility

Where I'm at, they wire one outlet in the house. For additional outlets they charge you or you do yourself, but of course each company (and region) has their own policies.
#57259 by geo999
Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:57 pm
An update for all who are interested. I have given up trying to get the Ooma Telo to work. Ooma has essentially refused to ship me another unit. Fortunately, Best Buy has agreed to provide a full refund. This has to be one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a company, it's product, and "service" (if that is what you want to call it). I have files a complaint with the California and Connecticut A.G and the Better Business Bureau of Silicon Valley. As an aside, the rating on this company from the BBB is an "F" similar to the types of grades we all here about from those that are not promoted in school. The one positive aspect of this whole fiasco has been this forum. Many thanks to all of the members who have tried to help solve this issue. This is the best user group I have ever experienced. Thanks again.

George I
#57260 by kdmc69
Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:12 pm
geo999 wrote:An update for all who are interested. I have given up trying to get the Ooma Telo to work. Ooma has essentially refused to ship me another unit. Fortunately, Best Buy has agreed to provide a full refund. This has to be one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a company, it's product, and "service" (if that is what you want to call it). I have files a complaint with the California and Connecticut A.G and the Better Business Bureau of Silicon Valley. As an aside, the rating on this company from the BBB is an "F" similar to the types of grades we all here about from those that are not promoted in school. The one positive aspect of this whole fiasco has been this forum. Many thanks to all of the members who have tried to help solve this issue. This is the best user group I have ever experienced. Thanks again.

George I

I don't understand your comments. The test results you got without Ooma connected (PC direct to modem) were terrible. How can you blame anything on Ooma? (Or did I miss a comment from you somewhere in between?)
#57261 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:13 pm
I regret that ooma didn't work out for you George. Too bad you couldn't resolve your internet problems. No matter what VoIP carrier you go with, you'll still have problems/issues unless you get your internet issues straightened out. Unfortunately, even when internet is the problem, ooma gets the blame from most folks in this situation but that's VoIP for you; fair or not. Best wishes though.
#57267 by southsound
Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:49 pm
geo999 wrote:This has to be one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a company, it's product, and "service" (if that is what you want to call it). I have files a complaint with the California and Connecticut A.G and the Better Business Bureau of Silicon Valley.
George I

I think it is great that you documented your poor Internet performance on this forum thread. Now when someone tries to investigate your complaint they will immediately see that the problem lies with your ISP - not ooma.

Your complaint is sort of like being aqngry because your new Corvette does not run on bad gas. You have your gas tested and the results tell you that it is half water (actually, your QoS was worse than that). You complain to GM because they won't give you a new car - but the dealer is nice enough to take it back and give you a refund. THEN, you go to the world to tell them how terrible GM is because their car won't run right.

I'll bet that when you made all of your complaints you forgot the part about having a terrible Internet connection. Do you also blame the Butcher Shop when you burn one of their steaks on the BBQ? How about taking appropriate personal responsibility for things???