Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#54709 by geo999
Tue May 04, 2010 5:18 am
In the last month tried to install Ooma Telo behind Linksys WRTG54GS V 6.0 Wirless Router. Have a Motorola Cable Modem Surfboard 3100 and the ISP is Charter. After installing Ooma the unit kept cycling on/off. It looked like it was repeatedly re-booting itself. I check my Upload Speed 1.0 mb/sec and Download Speed 8.0 mb/sec. I spoke w "customer service" and they suggested a re-boot of Ooma followed by a "factory re-set". All to no avail!! "Technical Support" was supposed to call me back after checking out the system on their end. Not suprisingly I am still waiting to hear from them. I also kept trying to access the Ooma setup page but have not been able to do so. Don't know why! As a last resort I tried the following. Shut computer down. Unplugged power on Cable modem, then router, then Ooma Telo. Rebooted in sequence cable modem, then router, then Ooma. Fired up computer and migrated to Wireless Router setup page. Went into Applications/Gaming section of the setup and clicked on QoS. Changed Upstream Bandwith to Manual and set speed at 800 kb/sec approximately 20% below my maximum bandwith - determined at speedtest.net. Also went into device priority and entered Device Name - Ooma. Priority - High. Mac Address - entered from lable on Ooma Telo unit. Then went into ethernet priority and gave the port where Ooma was plugged into the router high priority. (in my instance Ooma was plugged into port 3). This is my particular "saga" with Ooma. So far the unit is on and working without the prior noted cycling. I am posting this w trepidation as a solution for this particular problem. Would like to share this w others and would be interested in discussion concerning this work around and others that have stood the test of time. My reason for entering the bandwith manually and the Mac address for Ooma and making the priority high was was two-fold. 1. Wanted to make sure the router was recognizing Ooma;s Mac address. 2. Was wondering if the router was not allocating enough bandwith to keep Ooma up.

George I

P.S. Re-checked - Upstream Bandwith - and it is approx 500-600 kb/sec after this change.
#54885 by geo999
Thu May 06, 2010 11:09 am
geo999 wrote:In the last month tried to install Ooma Telo behind Linksys WRTG54GS V 6.0 Wirless Router. Have a Motorola Cable Modem Surfboard 3100 and the ISP is Charter. After installing Ooma the unit kept cycling on/off. It looked like it was repeatedly re-booting itself. I check my Upload Speed 1.0 mb/sec and Download Speed 8.0 mb/sec. I spoke w "customer service" and they suggested a re-boot of Ooma followed by a "factory re-set". All to no avail!! "Technical Support" was supposed to call me back after checking out the system on their end. Not suprisingly I am still waiting to hear from them. I also kept trying to access the Ooma setup page but have not been able to do so. Don't know why! As a last resort I tried the following. Shut computer down. Unplugged power on Cable modem, then router, then Ooma Telo. Rebooted in sequence cable modem, then router, then Ooma. Fired up computer and migrated to Wireless Router setup page. Went into Applications/Gaming section of the setup and clicked on QoS. Changed Upstream Bandwith to Manual and set speed at 800 kb/sec approximately 20% below my maximum bandwith - determined at speedtest.net. Also went into device priority and entered Device Name - Ooma. Priority - High. Mac Address - entered from lable on Ooma Telo unit. Then went into ethernet priority and gave the port where Ooma was plugged into the router high priority. (in my instance Ooma was plugged into port 3). This is my particular "saga" with Ooma. So far the unit is on and working without the prior noted cycling. I am posting this w trepidation as a solution for this particular problem. Would like to share this w others and would be interested in discussion concerning this work around and others that have stood the test of time. My reason for entering the bandwith manually and the Mac address for Ooma and making the priority high was was two-fold. 1. Wanted to make sure the router was recognizing Ooma;s Mac address. 2. Was wondering if the router was not allocating enough bandwith to keep Ooma up.

George I

P.S. Re-checked - Upstream Bandwith - and it is approx 500-600 kb/sec after this change.

Update - for those who are interested and are struggling w Ooma cycling on/off - this solution did not work. Also tried disabling MAC cloning - also did not work.
#54892 by sfhub
Thu May 06, 2010 12:50 pm
The reason you can't access the Ooma setup pages is because by default they are only accessible from the Home Port.

As a temporary debugging measure, have you tried connecting Ooma directly to the cablemodem, then connecting your PC to the Ooma Home Port? Then turn off Cablemodem and Ooma followed by turning on Cablemodem then Ooma, in that order?
#54910 by sfhub
Thu May 06, 2010 3:47 pm
geo999 wrote:Tried your suggestion and no better and even worse it slows my internet
connection to a crawl. Alos still cannot access ooma setup even when
connected via home port. If you have any ideas I am all ears. TIA

You need to either DHCP release/renew your IP address after connecting your PC to the Ooma Home Port or configure your PC for static IP. If you do the latter configure

IP 172.27.35.2
Mask 255.255.0.0
GW 172.27.35.1
DNS 172.27.35.1

Otherwise, your PC will be not be able to communicate with anything making it seem like your connection is at a crawl. First thing you should do after configuring the IP information (either manually or by DHCP release/renew) is try

ping 172.27.35.1

If that doesn't work, you don't have your PC configured properly to work with the Ooma Home Port

Post your IP configuration information. On windows that is

ipconfig /all

It is advantageous to address the problems 1 step at a time rather than trying to address them all at once. The latter just makes everything seem hopeless because there are too many moving targets.
#54927 by geo999
Fri May 07, 2010 5:14 am
My IP Config

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GEORGE
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-B0-D0-F7-59-A6
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.151.8.211
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 07, 2010 8:17:58 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 08, 2010 8:17:58 AM

Tried your suggestion sequentially -
DHCP - release then renew - no go - can't ping or traceroute - 172.35.1.1
Static IP - your parameters - can't ping or traceroute - 172.35.1.1and internet does not work - that said, not sure I entered parameters in the correct area of router I have linksys wireless wrt54gs v. 6.0 what do you mean by connecting PC TO Home Port? Exactly where do you enter the static ip info?
#54946 by sfhub
Fri May 07, 2010 9:48 am
geo999 wrote:Tried your suggestion sequentially -
DHCP - release then renew - no go - can't ping or traceroute - 172.35.1.1
Static IP - your parameters - can't ping or traceroute - 172.35.1.1and internet does not work - that said, not sure I entered parameters in the correct area of router I have linksys wireless wrt54gs v. 6.0 what do you mean by connecting PC TO Home Port? Exactly where do you enter the static ip info?

Your ipconfig info confirms that your IP/network configuration was preventing you from communicating with the Ooma device when connected to the Home Port.

First step, obtain IP address that is consistent with Ooma Home port. That means either DHCP release/renew or manual IP address assignment for the network adapter in windows networking config (Control Panel->Network Connections)

It seems you tried to do this via DHCP release/renew. There are two issues:
1) you should verify that it was successful in picking up a new IP address and network configuration by re-running ipconfig /all If you dont' have an address in the 172.27.35.x range, you need to address that first.
2) you were trying to ping 172.35.1.1. There is the wrong address. It is not surprising you got no response because there is no device using that address. You should be pinging 172.27.35.1 as specified in the post above.

There is no way your Internet will work until you configure the basic IP address and networking information to be consistent with the Ooma Home Port information, so don't get discouraged by that. It is expected behavior.

You should not have changed anything in your router. Assuming you are connected Modem->Ooma->PC, the router is out of the picture and won't affect anything. We are only currently trying to connect you directly to the Ooma so you can see if other pieces are causing issues for you.

The static IP address info I gave you is for you to use *instead of* DHCP release/renew, in case that didn't work. You would need to enter that information into the network configuration of your Windows box for the 3com adapter. You would only do this if after DHCP release/renew and ipconfig /all, you found that you still didn't have a 172.27.35.x IP address.
#54974 by tommies
Fri May 07, 2010 5:14 pm
I see you have a Motorola Cable Modem Surfboard 3100, but I don't know how old is it? If it's more than 2-3 yrs, probably you need a new modem or at least upgrade its firmware. Some has reported that their problem (quality issues and oomm cycle on/off) fixed with new cable modem.
#55222 by geo999
Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 pm
I took Tommies suggestion and changed my cable modem from a Motorola SB3100 to a Motorola 5101N from my cable company. Low and behold with DOCSIS 2.0 on the new modem my download/upload speeds went from 7mb/sec/1.0 mb/sec to 20 mb/sec/1.0 md/sec. Omma installed without difficulty behind my Linksys wrt54gs v. 6.0 router and has been up all day with no cycling on/off. I am cautiously optimistic that all will now be well. Thanks to all for their suggestions/help. Given the trials and tribulations would strongly recommend changing cable modems as a first step when cycling is noted and you have an older cable modem. Will post again when more time goes by to confirm that this fix contiunes to be the answer.

George
#55591 by geo999
Fri May 14, 2010 6:07 pm
Getting a leased 5101N Surfboard Cable modem worked for a short time - a day or so. I am now back to Ooma cycling on/off as before whether Ooma is in front of or behind the Linksys WRT54GS v. 6.0 wireless ROUTER. If anyone out there has any new ideas as to solutions for this please post. As is this device is worthless to me for it's intended purpose. TIA

George
#55593 by sfhub
Fri May 14, 2010 6:57 pm
Ask one of the Ooma mods to look at the logs to see if the unit is indicating why it is rebooting.

This iteration, is it immediately entering the reboot cycle and never stopping or does it work for a while then reboot.

Also have you checked the power connector to see if it is loose? Some units had this problem where the connector wasn't fitting right. Don't know if it was the AC adapter plug or the receptacle on the Ooma.