Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#54586 by deanro
Sun May 02, 2010 4:22 pm
I'm using my existing landline as a backup. Does anyone know if I need to continue to pay the local phone company for the callerid feature to get callerid through the Ooma?
Thanks
Dean.
#54607 by southsound
Sun May 02, 2010 8:20 pm
deanro wrote:I'm using my existing landline as a backup. Does anyone know if I need to continue to pay the local phone company for the callerid feature to get callerid through the Ooma?
Thanks
Dean.

Many of us on the forum really don't like the "integrated landline" that you are calling a backup. I have a landline for financial reasons (much cheaper DSL on my plan) and in case of power failure (Qwest does not have battery backup on their RTE so no power, no DSL. And before someone suggests it, I not only have my network on a UPS but I also have a generator for extended outages. The integrated causes lots of problems, one of which is loss of features. What most of us with a landline do is keep it separate and use an ooma number. Some pay a small price for call forwarding (all calls) their landline to their ooma number. Others do like I do - I use a Google Voice number as a front end for my system. That way I can switch back and forth without anyone having to change how they call me. When I had some problems with DSL I switched all calls to the landline. When our island had a problem where a squirrel chewed through the fiber that feeds our voice line, I switched it to the ooma. One note is that your ooma number will have CID and all other standard ooma features - even if a call is forwarded to it from your landline. If you do this, keep a corded phone around for when the power goes out or your Internet goes down.