Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#70100 by southsound
Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:24 pm
mrgrumpy wrote:BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Amen.
#70101 by lbmofo
Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:49 pm
MrGrumpy,

mrgrumpy wrote:To south***, another kool-aid drinker with 2900+ posts favoring the company and excusing instead of improving. Show your true colors!

I beg to differ with you on SouthSound. He is critical of Ooma when service is subpar. Case in point:

southsound wrote:Just having a moment of thinking about the big picture... Would anybody really want a movie / TV service that dropped the picture after about 20 minutes of play or garbled the sound so that Gregory Peck or James Earl Jones sounded like Daffy Duck or Elmer Fud? Where we only heard 80% of the words being spoken and the rest was dead air? Maybe where we saw a persons lips move and a couple of seconds later we hear the dialog?

Maybe we are better off looking at traditional (Netflix, Hulu, pirated content, etc.) sources for our video enjoyment. I'd just like ooma to work for reliable, high quality telephone service like it did 6 months ago. :shock:

You see MrGrumpy, SouthSound wants Ooma to improve and by no means an Ooma apologist. He just doesn't nitpick or find fault with insignificant details that has nothing to do with quality of service.

mrgrumpy wrote:mr lbmofo, your 1980+ posts promoting this company's product and services. A quick search through the forums shows your true nature: you continually belittle customers; you are a bully for the company. And a bad one at that.

If you can point out an example, I would appreciate it. Anytime someone expresses an opinion, I try to put in my 2 cents if I have them. I believe that just because folks can't handle opposing opinions, expressing said opposing opinions does not constitue "belittling." BTW, I only have 1850 and not 1980+ posts as of this.
#70119 by nn5i
Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:00 am
mrgrumpy wrote:I ALSO agree that the musical dial tone is annoying and I wish I could change it or disable it.

It is not productive for forum members to continue to badger costumers

OK, from now on we'll send raccoons, not badgers, to take care of the costumers. Raccoons are experts at costuming -- they all wear masks. But what about the choreographers, cosmeticists, and stage hands? Can we badger them?
#89634 by anon44
Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:57 am
Back to the topic for a moment....

The Musical dial tone (not the connection tone) confuses my answering machine when there's incoming call that hangs up without leaving a message. I get all these messages that are recordings of the dial tone. That's why I'd like to change it.

And off topic: Companies today only want the easy customers that fit into the business model. If the "one size fits all" doesn't work for you, the company doesn't want you as a customer.
#89654 by tommies
Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:54 pm
anon44 wrote:Back to the topic for a moment....

The Musical dial tone (not the connection tone) confuses my answering machine when there's incoming call that hangs up without leaving a message. I get all these messages that are recordings of the dial tone. That's why I'd like to change it.

Well, I guess my answering machine (on an Uniden dect. 6.0 with corded base) works better than yours. However, from my point of view, an empty record or a record of the ooma tone means only one thing: the caller hanged up without leaving any word. It's nice if ooma let us an option to change it, but at the current situation, I prefer ooma of focus on solving other problems, such as delay, echo, call logs, etc.
And off topic: Companies today only want the easy customers that fit into the business model. If the "one size fits all" doesn't work for you, the company doesn't want you as a customer.

It's so true, but are you buying shocks lately? The one size fits all does not work for me, but I have to buy some anyway.
#93352 by CloaknDagr
Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:26 pm
It's real special all of you people arguing about the aesthetics of the dial tone and if you like it or not.

I don't like it because it messes up connections, the freakin' weirdo cutesy-pie dial tone prevents some devices that I need to use over my Ooma from working properly. I can't see any reason for this ridiculous situation except the stupid dial tone is some brain dead idiots idea of a branding concept. I don't care if it sounds nice, I don't care if it doesn't sound nice. I want it to work and that is ALL I care about. I'll take function over form any day.

If Ooma wants to replace landline subscribers with Ooma subscribers then this is a pretty silly thing to do. If Ooma doesn't work BECAUSE of this dial tone then it's time to go back to a standard dial tone. There are a lot of things that NEED a dial tone to function, pretty much any type of modem "listens" for a dial tone before dialing and this stupid cutesy-pie dial tone fouls that up all the way to FUBAR.

I don't need any of you armchair Oomaphiles telling me what I do and don't need modems and other devices for either, that's none of your business. I don't NEED advice, I'm a systems engineer and can figure out the gee-gaws just fine on my own, what I NEED is a standard dial tone or the means to acquire one.

So Ooma, if you're listening, if you really want to be the "go to" hot alternative to landline services then knock this crap off and use a regular dial tone ASAP. NO ONE PICKS UP THE PHONE OVER AND OVER JUST TO LISTEN TO YOUR DIAL TONE, NO ONE WILL MISS IT WHEN IT'S GONE.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Ooma, I'm a premier subscriber and I have both a business line (for my home office, no I'm not running a business over Ooma) and a private line configured. I use the Ooma voice mail for one line and a plain old answering machine for the other. I really like my Ooma and have no desire to use anything else, BUT ...

If it doesn't function as expected and desired because of this gawd-awful dial tone then it would be a service to your customers to either implement a standard dial tone across the system OR give us an option to choose. I don't care which.

The rest of you talking about how the silly-assed dial tone reminds you of how much money you're saving are just pathetic. If you can't see that in your bank account and need some silly tones to remind you then grow up and act your age, or stop being a commercial unless you're getting paid for it. I don't care which of those either. And this garbage about "you must not have a very good answering machine" and other drek I've seen posted in this thread is equally pathetic. If it works on a landline it should work on Ooma and if it doesn't that is OOMA's FAULT. If y'all don't speak up when you find problems you'll never see anything fixed. If it doesn't matter to you then STFU if you can't help solve the problem.

I don't listen to the dial tone, I could care less about how it sounds, I have critical devices that DO listen for the dial tones and they DO care about how it sounds. IF Ooma REALLY wants to be on the bounce about customer service and satisfaction then they can take this into account and make adjustments accordingly ASAP. I'd really hate to have to go buy a freakin' Magic Jack just to get a real dial tone. Some of us will be able to do what we need to over your phone system if you do and the others won't miss that sissy-assed tone when it's gone, at least not for long and not enough to impact Ooma's business.
#105745 by nemaroller
Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:32 pm
While others can argue its a silly to wish for a way from the default OOMA jingle, the software is what produces the tone, so it CAN be done, and I for one want a retro-style telephone service, and every time I pick it up the phone, I am reminded that perhaps this isn't the best solution.

The standard dial tone appears to be a combination of two frequencies, one at 350hz and one at 450hz. Anything less than that sounds artificial, and a musical jingle at the forefront seems childish - not professional.
#105751 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:38 pm
nemaroller wrote:a musical jingle at the forefront seems childish - not professional.

But what about your call result? Ooma's voice quality is as professional as you can get.