Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#54551 by ooma321
Sun May 02, 2010 1:22 pm
I just set up a Ooma core, everything is fine except dial ( connection) tone I can't disable it, it is always classic, I can hear difference sound when I logined my ooma account, saved change successfully, but when dial you still hear that annoying classic dialing tone, anyone knows? Thanks.
#54556 by sfhub
Sun May 02, 2010 1:38 pm
You can't change the dial tone.

The setting in preferences is for the *connect* tone. ie the sound you hear after the connection is established.
#54557 by southsound
Sun May 02, 2010 1:38 pm
Let me clear up some coufusion. There are two tones - one is the ooma dialtone and the other is the connection tone that is played after dialing.

- The connection tone is of little value unles you are using an integrated landline and want to see which route the outgoing call is taking. It also interferes with voicemail (especially ATT voicemail) and makes the system ask you for a password. Use the preference in my.ooma.com to disable it. After saving it may take a couple of minutes - or even a reboot of your ooma to make it take effect.

- The duh-duh-di-duh then 440A ooma dialtone cannot be disabled. If the duh-duh-di-duh bothers you, you have two choices. Either use a phone where you can enter your number, then connect - or pick up the phone very slowly. Most of us are not as bothered by the ooma dialtone (which cannot be turned off) as the connection tone (which may). In fact, some of us consider the duh-duh-di-duh then 440A ooma dialtone to be the sound of us saving money over our old phone provider.

And welcome to ooma and to the forum. :cool:
#54574 by ooma321
Sun May 02, 2010 3:00 pm
southsound wrote:Let me clear up some coufusion. There are two tones - one is the ooma dialtone and the other is the connection tone that is played after dialing.

- The connection tone is of little value unles you are using an integrated landline and want to see which route the outgoing call is taking. It also interferes with voicemail (especially ATT voicemail) and makes the system ask you for a password. Use the preference in my.ooma.com to disable it. After saving it may take a couple of minutes - or even a reboot of your ooma to make it take effect.

- The duh-duh-di-duh then 440A ooma dialtone cannot be disabled. If the duh-duh-di-duh bothers you, you have two choices. Either use a phone where you can enter your number, then connect - or pick up the phone very slowly. Most of us are not as bothered by the ooma dialtone (which cannot be turned off) as the connection tone (which may). In fact, some of us consider the duh-duh-di-duh then 440A ooma dialtone to be the sound of us saving money over our old phone provider.

And welcome to ooma and to the forum. :cool:

Thank you for detailed reply!
I did mean connection tone, i went in my account->preference->system try to make a change ( change to a difference sound or disable), it said "Call settings successfully saved " after I clicked save button, and I wait, I restart Ooma. it just does not want to give up that duh-duh-di-duh sound, I think Ooma must be very proud of that sound and I have to pick up the phone s.. l.. o.. w..l..y.
#63163 by rwd77
Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:24 am
I really wish we could change that dial tone. Maybe the marketers thing that it reminds me of the money I'm saving, but it doesn't. It reminds me that Ooma isn't identical to the Vonage service I left. I just want a landline phone. No music, cute rings, etc.

I get that Ooma is a great cost savings, but that dial tone is annoying.
#63166 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:46 am
rwd77 wrote:It reminds me that Ooma isn't identical to the Vonage service I left.

Isn't identical; Vonage costs you lots of $ every month but ooma doesn't.
I actually like the ooma dialtone....music to my ears...for sure prefer it over Comcast's dumb bouncing/choppy at the start dialtone.
#63172 by Groundhound
Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:32 am
rwd77 wrote:I really wish we could change that dial tone. Maybe the marketers thing that it reminds me of the money I'm saving, but it doesn't. It reminds me that Ooma isn't identical to the Vonage service I left. I just want a landline phone. No music, cute rings, etc.

I get that Ooma is a great cost savings, but that dial tone is annoying.

The distinctive dialtone serves a practical purpose for those who use both a land line and Ooma on a multi-line phone as an audible indicator of which line you're about to dial out on. For those who are annoyed by it, southsound's suggestion above of taking just an extra second to bring the phone to your ear or using a phone that you can enter numbers before going off-hook solves the problem.
#65139 by southsound
Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:06 pm
Ellkabong wrote:I agree that the musical dial tone is annoying and I wish I could change it.

Have you ever watched Guy Fieri on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives? He has a thing he does called the "hunch" where you eat enourmous burgers, etc. without getting grease down your sleeves. The proper way to pick up an ooma phone is similar. You do a slow curl starting at the phone's cradle and arching towards your ear. Pick up the handset, pause for just a moment, then slowly curl your elbow until the receiver is at ear level. By that time, the music is gone and the standard dialtone is there. If this is not something you are willing to try, how about this - most phones (my Uniden cordless, the Telo handset, and others) allow you to dial the number then press the green or new call button. That way you won't hear the offending tone. However for most of us, we've grown to consider that musical tone to be the sound of saving money on our phone bills.
#70078 by mrgrumpy
Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:11 pm
I ALSO agree that the musical dial tone is annoying and I wish I could change it or disable it.

It is not productive for forum members to continue to badger costumers that are requesting the ability to configure a feature themselves.

If you like it, keep it. But allow me to configure my own.