Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#54309 by donl1133
Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:47 pm
New to this forum and a new Ooma customer. I had phone and DSL Internet with ATT and read that I could not port my existing number without seperating the phone from DSL. So I found another DSL provider (Juno) and subscribed to there service. Still have ATT for my phone. Now I received notice from Ooma that my port will take place in 2 weeks, with a reminder that if I have DSL and internet on the same number I will lose the internet connection when the port happens. Does anyone know if that is true when I have different providers for phone and internet? And if so what are my options? Thanks for any help. Don
#54410 by mikol
Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:04 pm
I have a similar situation Verizon land line and changed dsl isp to Dslextreme. I have not submitted for porting in my Ooma because I have the same question about dsl service. When applying for porting did you check the box at the bottom of the page? I have activated my Telo but have not hooked up yet, should I wait until I get port date? I am interested to the answer the the original post before I apply for porting. I have cancelled dsl with Verizon but not land line.
#54421 by donl1133
Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:57 pm
I went to Bestbuy today and talked to a salsman about this situtation and was assured that there would be no problem with the port because when you install a DSL service they also provide a phone number with that which is not seen but is used to log on. So that way the 2 services are not connected and you should not lose internet when you port. Hope it works. Don't remember if I checked the box, but I don't think I did. Go ahead and hook up the telo and see if everything is working, because it will take about 3 weeks for the port to happen. I was given a temporary number and still have my original number which I am using till the port takes effect. If still in dought call Ooma support.