Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#3382 by sntmac
Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:06 pm
I hooked up the Ooma system with no problem. I asked to have my number ported over and got my temporary number until my old number gets ported. Ooma system is working fine with the temporary phone number.

How long Ooma takes to send you email notification on the status of porting your number over? I'm wondering because I got the welcome news letter but no email saying, "We're porting your number, we'll be in touch in 3 weeks." Just wondering if they usually send one out or if you pretty much don't hear anything until the port is almost complete.

Thanks!
#3388 by murphy
Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:33 pm
I received an email acknowledging receipt of my LOA and phone bill 7 days after I submitted them. The next email arrived after the port had been completed.
#3396 by toyotaisme
Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:23 pm
same here its been 11 days and I haven't received anything.
#3811 by morvayd
Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:36 am
Hello,

I just had my number ported and it took about 3 / 4 weeks, once the paperwork was accepted.

And it was odd, I created an ooma account, picked a temp. number, then signed up for the premier account (since I already have two numbers with my previous provider). I talked to ooma customer service and started the porting process and sent in the paper work.

Two weeks went by, and nothing. I tried to log into the ooma lounge to find I couldn't. Nothing would reset (apparently). So I called ooma customer service, gave them the number and they stated the number wasn't associated with my name. So I asked which one was, and it was a different "main/temp" number (which I wrote down, crossing off my original number).

So it appeared my main temp. number was changed for some reason.

Now I put in the porting request again with the newer temp number (3 weeks after my original request) and in a few days received my e-mail stating the porting request was received. A few weeks later received the porting should take place on this date, then a week later, porting should be complete, and it was.

Problem was, I asked for and paid for 2 numbers to be ported, but only one came across (same original phone company for both, and I talked with ooma customer service to start the process). So now I get to call and ask where the second number went and why wasn't it ported??

Lastly, I'm happy with ooma so far and view these as bumps in the road that will be negotiated around.
#3815 by number9
Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:46 pm
Six weeks since my port request, number still not ported. I agree with a 'bump in the road' anecdote. Everything else has been very good.
#3873 by number9
Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:29 am
I have spent 200 minutes on the phone (in 24 hours) trying to find out why it is taking so long to port my number. I have emailed 2 of the 3 mods here on the forum with no acknowledgment of my emails. I have called and emailed (to which there has been no repsonse) customer support, they tell me it's AT&T.
I have spoken to AT&T, and they are telling me that they have NOT received a request for my number to be ported.
It's been six weeks!!
At this point I feel my $39.99 port fee should returned.
#3876 by koehn
Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:50 am
I guess I've been fortunate. I put in my porting request on 2/10, got a confirmation on 2/24 which told me roughly when they expected my port, and just a few minutes ago got an email telling me it's going to port on 3/10, exactly four weeks after I sent in the forms.

I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised with how well everything's gone so far; hopefully the actual port goes as smoothly. It may be that my local phone provider (Comcast) is just easier to deal with than other providers, although based on my past experiences with Comcast I have to believe it's some other reason.

It would probably save Ooma and their customers considerable headaches if they let you check the status of your port in the Lounge. Anything they can do to reduce the number of support calls will result in tremendous gains all concerned, particularly considering the forty bucks people are shelling out for a service that's completely free from other providers.
#3878 by dlong
Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:16 am
koehn wrote:
It would probably save Ooma and their customers considerable headaches if they let you check the status of your port in the Lounge. Anything they can do to reduce the number of support calls will result in tremendous gains all concerned, particularly considering the forty bucks people are shelling out for a service that's completely free from other providers.

Fantastic idea, koehn. I sense the frustration from all others on here such as number9 with the porting process; number9 seems to be in total limbo.
Anything that makes the experience a bit better is a sense of contact. The UPS shipment tracker is a perfect example of this. Ooma should consider this if it isn't too hard to implement a web page even just an event logger if anything. And now as of yesterday, I too am going down this road of the number porting.
#3881 by sunrisepostal
Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:00 pm
I call last week after four week past on port process start and Omaa give me march 8 for my port date. but i still did not receive email from ooma about this going to be done by march 8 so will see what happen on march 8.

I will report back.
#3883 by frenchcamp49er
Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:49 pm
I'm on six weeks of waiting for my port to take place.