Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#53778 by adsmi1u
Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:08 am
Hi,

I would like to take my Telo to another location and use it there for a short time with another Telo.

Can I connect two Telo devices behind a Wireless Router. I would connect different phones to the Telos.

Thanks for your help.

Al
#53802 by southsound
Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:03 pm
lbmofo wrote:Just curious, why not modem->ooma->ooma->router? Would the 1st one work but not the 2nd?

You could daisy-chain them as long as you change the IP address of the second one. I had my hub and Telo connected this way. I justed changed the instances of .35. to .36. on the second device. I could have done the change on the first one if I preferred.
#53807 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:24 pm
Thanks. So the daisy-chain before the router could work if the IPs are different.

So, change one of the devices from the default IP 172.27.35.1 to something else like 172.27.36.1?
#53812 by cdilore
Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:48 pm
Good tip. I would like to connect two OOMA hubs for two distinct and separate numbers. I have two separate numbers now. I've already installed one and works great. My modem is down in the basement and my router is upstairs. I have one wire that goes from the modem to the router and then back downstairs from the router. I've onnected this ethernet cable to the OOMA hub. Now If I have to connect another OOMA hub I will need to run another cable from the router upstairs to the downstairs. I rather not do this. The reason I need the OOMA hub downstairs is because my Alarm panel is downstairs and it is already wired to work with VOIP from the modem. In other words, my phone line from the cable modem goes to the alarm panel. So, once I connect the OOMA hub I would have to connect the wall plug out of the OOMA hub to the Alarm where the modem conencts now.
Can I use an RJ45 Ethernet splitter to use at the end of the cable coming from the router from upstairs so that I have two outputs from the router downstairs?
Also, if this will not work, would you please provide directions on how to change the IP address from the default?
Thanks
#53814 by southsound
Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:10 pm
Answers in RED:

cdilore wrote:Can I use an RJ45 Ethernet splitter to use at the end of the cable coming from the router from upstairs so that I have two outputs from the router downstairs?
No, but you can purchase an innexpensive network switch that will do the trick nicely. Here is one that will cost about $15 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122005

Also, if this will not work, would you please provide directions on how to change the IP address from the default?
Sure. With a computer connected to the home port of the ooma and nothing connected to the modem port, go to setup.ooma.com. Click on the Advanced tab. You will note that the first thing shown is the home port IP address, 172.27.35.1. You need to change this to 172.27.36.1 and change any other instance of 35 to 36. Click Update. Then go to the Network tab and where it shows choices for the modem port MAC address, click Use Built In. It would be good to do this for the first ooma as well. The systems just seem to work better using the built-in MAC address. Again, click update. Disconnect your computer, connect the modem port of this system to the home port of your other system and reboot. Note that if you want to reach the setup screen of this second ooma in the future you will need to use the new IP address 172.27.36.1 instead of setup.ooma.com

Thanks
#53836 by murphy
Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:28 am
The switch is the better solution but there is a LAN splitter available.
Only half of the wires in a LAN cable are used unless you are running gigabit ethernet.
You need a pair of the LAN splitters.
One connects to two ports of the router and feeds the signals into a single cable.
The second attaches to the other end of the cable and provides two LAN connections.

Here is one example:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-detail ... uctid=6407