Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#53743 by silvereyes
Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:57 pm
1st month with Ooma core, very very very satisfied.
My setup is primary number in main house (hub), 2nd number in guest house (scout).
The primary house is big and has brick walls, my dect6.0 phones range is max out.
If I buy another scout and connect it to the phone plug in the wall (in the far end of the house that has zero coverage), can I get the primary number on it as well?
I'm guessing that will be in shared mode with the primary number. I already have premier account, will that be yet extra charge per month?
#53748 by southsound
Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:05 pm
The extra scout should do the trick - or you could just use your house wiring to bring ooma dialtone to an existing phone jack on the other side of the house as long as you have an extra pair available. Just a questioin about your DECT 6.0 phone not able to cover your entire home - I'm not sure how big your home is but mine is 80' long and my Uniden 1580-5 works well throughout the home.

As to extra fees, no - you will not be adding an additional number so there will be no additional charge.
#53752 by silvereyes
Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 pm
well, the house is long, perhaps 100 feet. The problem is that the router is at one end of the house and there are brick like walls separating the living room and sun room, the bar and two bathrooms. I can't change this setting. I have a panasonic dect6.0 system. It works great, especially when it was centered, but now its stuck close to the router.
Let me understand your suggestion.
The ooma hub is connected to the phone plug to provide the existing scout with a line. So a 2nd scout on the same phone line circuitry but different phone plug location will still operate?

Can you also clarify what you wrote:
"or you could just use your house wiring to bring ooma dialtone to an existing phone jack on the other side of the house as long as you have an extra pair available"
Does that mean to split the signal from the dect6.0 to a long phone line to the other side of the house?
Will splitting the signal downgrade the quality or it doesn't matter?

Thank you for your valuable input.
#53767 by southsound
Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:19 am
silvereyes wrote:well, the house is long, perhaps 100 feet. The problem is that the router is at one end of the house and there are brick like walls separating the living room and sun room, the bar and two bathrooms. I can't change this setting. I have a panasonic dect6.0 system. It works great, especially when it was centered, but now its stuck close to the router.
If you have enough handsets, then moving your base to the center with wiring like I'll suggest below would certainly be one option.

Let me understand your suggestion.
The ooma hub is connected to the phone plug to provide the existing scout with a line. So a 2nd scout on the same phone line circuitry but different phone plug location will still operate?
Yes - you can have several (I believe the max number might be 4) on a single hub using the same wiring. The scout is not really using the wiring for audio - it uses a networking protocol called HPNA so it is only responding to data so you can have a scout tied to a particular number as a private device or shared using the same number as your hub. An advantage of using a second scout is that a person could be on the system connected to the hub and someone else could make a call using a phone connected to the shared scout. The only restraint is that there can only be two active conversaations on the hub at one time.

Can you also clarify what you wrote:
"or you could just use your house wiring to bring ooma dialtone to an existing phone jack on the other side of the house as long as you have an extra pair available"
If you have an extra pair wires in your phone cable, you can use it to send the signal from your PHONE port to another location in the house. There is also an easier option: Since I assume you have your scouts on a clean pair (NO DSL) you could also use a single line splitter to combine the WALL and PHONE jacks on the hub - then you could plug in a phone, phone base, or scout into any phone jack and it would work. If a phone or phone base, you will get the same signal as a phone connected directly to the hub PHONE port - if a scout, it will depend on how that particular scout is configured in my.ooma.com. Of course, you will need to plug a phone into the scout PHONE port.

Does that mean to split the signal from the dect6.0 to a long phone line to the other side of the house? Yes.

Will splitting the signal downgrade the quality or it doesn't matter? It will still be great quality. 100' is nothing for phone signals.

Thank you for your valuable input.
#53979 by silvereyes
Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:22 pm
I came back from Yosemite national park today, read your reply, tried it and couldn't believe it. WOW This works. The splitter in reverse makes the entire house phone plugs work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you very very much.
I don't know if this is documented out there, but I hope other people will take notice of this post.

Now let me continue along the line of this topic.
I'm trying to convince my sister to get Ooma. She has verizon fios. Is that considered DSL? Would activating the wall phone plugs be a problem with fios?
#53984 by southsound
Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm
silvereyes wrote:I came back from Yosemite national park today, read your reply, tried it and couldn't believe it. WOW This works. The splitter in reverse makes the entire house phone plugs work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know if this is documented out there, but I hope other people will take notice of this post.

I'm trying to convince my sister to get Ooma. She has verizon fios. Is that considered DSL? Would activating the wall phone plugs be a problem with fios?

I've very pleased that things worked out great for you. And what a great time to visit Yosemite. School is in session so not too much congestion. We've backpacked all over Europe (Rick Steves style) in the past - now we have been enjoying our domestic wonders. We have our third trip to the Grand Canyon scheduled for later this year. Life is good!

Now about Verizon FIOS - I think they may use a special FIOS box in addition to the standard Network Interface Box - but FIOS should work great with ooma and we can walk you through any complications that may arise. Many of our forum members use FIOS and have experience way beyond me - so when she is ready to connect, feel free to start a new thread with her issues and you will have the same great experience.
#53987 by murphy
Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:09 am
silvereyes wrote:I came back from Yosemite national park today, read your reply, tried it and couldn't believe it. WOW This works. The splitter in reverse makes the entire house phone plugs work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIOS is not DSL. All signals arrive at the home via optical fiber.
You need to check with Verizon. Verizon phone service is supplied over the optical cable. I am not aware of any plan where FIOS internet is available without the bundled phone service.

Back feeding the house is well documented. There are at least a hundred threads on the forum describing various ways to accomplish it.