Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#53223 by biznews
Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:44 am
I see some conflicting posts in the forum. I'd like to make Ooma Telo the second line for my home PBX. Is it possible? Do I need to connect directly to the PBX or may I simply send the signal back through a wall outlet. ( I see one post suggesting that this could cause some sort of damage). I have cat5 wiring with "home run" configuration and it was previously set up with two lines. (I ported one to vonage and kept it as a stand alone). Any help is much appreciated.
#53229 by southsound
Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:57 am
First off, welcome to ooma and to the forum!

Since you already have a PBX installed, why not just connect up the Telo PHONE port as a CO (central office) line on the PBX? That way you have all the PBX features - transfer, conference, etc. and also have the free longdistance of the Telo available from your existing phones. If you connect up the Telo as a CO line, nothing will harm the PBX or the Telo since it is meant to emulate the same dialtone/features as the telco's central office provides. If your PBX has the ability to do line selction by dialing plan, remember to have it use the Telo line for outgoing long distance. If the system also has autoattendant features, note that the Telo does NOT yet pass INCOMING DTMF. It may someday, but no date has been confirmed by ooma.
#53237 by murphy
Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:26 am
biznews wrote:In that configuration would I simply go from "wall" on the Telo to the open CO2 port on the PBX?

No, the wall port is only used to integrate a landline with the Telo.
Connect the phone port to the CO2 port on the PBX.
#72778 by BackupBob
Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:39 pm
I have Ooma working just fine on a KX-TA624 PBX with one problem.

This PBX works with proprietary telephones (PT) or single line telephones (SLT). There is a problem with call waiting on SLT phones.

When a call waiting signal comes in the PT has no problem flashing to the 2nd call. On the SLT phone the call cannot be picked up. WIth an SLT the PBX does not know if the flash is intended to be used locally or passed to the Central Office (CO). To flash the CO you must press Flash and then 66.

The SLT is not signalling the Ooma Telo and calls are being dropped. The caller ID on the phone is showing the call and I have proven that the first beep comes in immediately, as it should.

When I bought my system it was one of the first released for sale. WIth an SLT the standard Flash 6 did not work due to timing issues. It seems that different Telcos do things differently and Panasonic had not worked with Bell Atlantic (now Verizon) before. After two or three changes to the firmware PROM the feature worked if I used flash 66 (not flash 6 as per the manual) and all has been well for many years.

Now that I have switched to Ooma there is a problem. It is probably the timing issued again. Unfortunately, Panasonic has little information on line and this PBX has been replaced by the KXT-TA824. Many vendors are quickly selling off their remaining stock and supporting only the new one.

Flash Key Mode is programmed with functions 110 and 418. Function 110 sets the flash to two modes. Mode 1 uses the time programmed by function 418. Mode 2 sends a flash as long as the flash key is pressed. Function 418 can be programmed by the CO line so changing the setting for the Ooma line will not change the other lines.

Available times are 80, 100, 160, 300, 600, 900, and 1200 ms. I checked the Ooma line and found the time set to 80 mSec. The other lines were set to 600. I have changed the Ooma line to 600. Let's see how / if it works over the next few days.

Perhaps an Ooma guru monitoring the forum can suggest a better flash time setting.
#72799 by BackupBob
Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:09 am
It's working!

The default 600 mSec setting works. I will experiment with shorter settings because that reduces the wait time to pick up the incomding call.

And there was great rejoicing in the land. Yay.

BTW - Several places are selling the KX-TA624 cheap, i.e., $200 for a 3x8 (3 CO lines, 8 extensions) system. Add a caller ID card or additional ports and the price will quickly increase. I bought our v1 system in 1998 and it is still going strong.

The new KX-T824 features remote programming by serial port or USB. One outfit had it for $404 with three phones. It comes 3x8. An upgrade to 6x16 will add $200 to the cost.
#121606 by ben1492
Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:08 am
Reviving an old thread:

I just moved into a house with an existing Panasonic KX-TA624 system. While I don't care for all the other bells and whistles (and complexities) that came with it, I do really like the intercom system and want to use the system integrated with my Ooma Telo. While I have seen multiple success stories in getting the this system to work with the Ooma Telo, I have had no joy so far.

Here's what I have done and tried so far:

Disconnected two outside lines from outside the house.

Plugged Ooma Telo directly into CO1 in the KX-TA624. Line silence

Plugged Ooma Telo directly into CO2 in the KX-TA624. Line silence

Plugged Ooma Telo directly into one of the proprietary phones (KX-T7030). Line silence

If I call my Ooma number from my cell phone, the phones ring, but nothing can be heard on either end when answered.

The "1" on the Ooma Telo turns orange when picked up, so it recognizes a phone is there. Otherwise, I get complete silence when I manually select the correct CO1 or CO2 line from the phone.

I called Ooma and they said the problem was with the settings on the KX-TA624, and I concur. They had no suggestions on what those settings should be. I've also reprogrammed a couple of things in the KX-TA624: I've disabled line hunting and and disconnected all CO's except CO1.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm willing to try anything at this point. I'll be calling Panasonic on Monday as well, but I'm not hopeful of a lot of guidance from their end on a 15 year old phone system.