Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#3290 by johnz8
Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:19 pm
Assuming I retain a land line:
First will I damage anything if I mix connects to my phone system with phones behind scouts and phones connected directly? If that is ok what will be the result? The scout will handle land line calls as well as OOMA calls? The directly connected phone handles only land line calls or will it also pick up ooma calls????

Second case assuming I have dropped my land line and disconnected the wires from the Dmark:
Can I now connect my phones directas well as through my scout to my phone wires in my house? Mix and match sort of speak? If not then why can't I just take the phone line jack on the hub and plug it into the wall jack. In theory every phone on that house wiring becomes the phone that would normally connect to the hub.

I am very interested on what I get for a reply on this.
#3291 by murphy
Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:25 pm
johnz8 wrote:If not then why can't I just take the phone line jack on the hub and plug it into the wall jack. In theory every phone on that house wiring becomes the phone that would normally connect to the hub.

Works just fine. I recommend that you keep the sum of the REN values for all of the phones at 1.0 or less.
#3294 by johnz8
Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:42 pm
murphy wrote:
johnz8 wrote:If not then why can't I just take the phone line jack on the hub and plug it into the wall jack. In theory every phone on that house wiring becomes the phone that would normally connect to the hub.

Works just fine. I recommend that you keep the sum of the REN values for all of the phones at 1.0 or less.

What is a REN Value and how and wear would I adjust it?

Do you have any input on the other scenarios I posted about?

I have had my ooma hub running for 2 days as a stand alone. Works great for the first part of my evaluation. If everything goes as planned the end state will be that I assign my land line number to my ooma solution, get all the phones on it and kiss our land line provider goodbye.
#3298 by murphy
Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:01 am
johnz8 wrote:What is a REN Value and how and wear would I adjust it?

It's located on the manufacturer's label of the telephone. It's not an adjustment. You get the number from every phone that you want to connect and add them together.

My Panasonic cordless phone base has a REN of 0.2.

It is a standardized measure of how much current the phone requires from the phone line when the phone rings.
#3300 by inrame
Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:52 am
johnz8 wrote:Assuming I retain a land line:
First will I damage anything if I mix connects to my phone system with phones behind scouts and phones connected directly? If that is ok what will be the result? The scout will handle land line calls as well as OOMA calls? The directly connected phone handles only land line calls or will it also pick up ooma calls????

if you hook phones directly to the landline, they will work as you normally would expect a landline to work. in fact this is how the directions suggest to install things like dvr, alarms, etc (although there are other threads that discuss alternatives).

ooma scout handles both landline and voip calls very elegantly together.

directly connected phones will only only answer direct calls, they cannot interface with ooma's voip.