Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#52315 by koongo
Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:48 am
I just activated my new Ooma and can't get it too work. I have fully activated it

The Ooma Modem line is connected via ethernet to my router and the router is connected on the Fios line. The computers plugged into the router have excellent Internet connection. The Ooma shows a red tab and the 1, 2 Play and Fast forword lights are red

Here there is Verizon Fios. My friend also has an Ooma Hub and the same Verizon Fios and the very same actiontec router and his Ooma works fine.

What could I have wrong?

Koongo
#52376 by koongo
Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:25 am
I called Ooma tech support and they want me to disable the firewall in the router. How do I do that I asked? Not our job to tell you said Ooma. They said call Verizon. I said Verizon won't help me to put in a device to allow me to disconnect Verizon. Ooma again said they wouldn't help.

I called Verizon. They won't help to disconnect the firewall in the router saying it is dangerous to surf the Internet without a firewall. They said it could be done by a knowledgeable person but they won't be a party to it. They told me to look in the DMZ settings for the router.

This is very wierd. My friend has Ooma and he also has Verizon Fios like me. He also has the same Actiontec router model MI424WR and his Ooma worked right out of the box.

I don't know why tech support at Ooma can't tell me anything. I can't believe my Intenet setup is any different than any other. Have all the other Ooma customers had to get deep into the router setup to disabel stuff inside the routher?

Can't anyone help?
#52377 by Leeway
Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:29 am
After you connected everything did you reset (reboot) every piece of it?
#52423 by tommies
Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:25 pm
koongo wrote: The Ooma shows a red tab and the 1, 2 Play and Fast forword lights are red

Koongo

According to ooma user guide, the light pattern means you did not feed you current & working land line into ooma WALL port. If you don't have a land line, (ok you are not the 1st person with this issue) you need to call CS to have them reverse the setup (from integrated with a land line to no integration)
#52453 by koongo
Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 pm
Tommies

Interesting

What is the purpose of the Ooma needing to be connected to the telephone line? I thought I could disconnect my telphone line when I got the Ooma.

koongo
#52457 by murphy
Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:09 am
koongo wrote:Tommies

Interesting

What is the purpose of the Ooma needing to be connected to the telephone line? I thought I could disconnect my telphone line when I got the Ooma.

koongo

That is true but you made the wrong selection when you activated Ooma. You should have gotten a temporary phone number from Ooma and not involved the landline at all. You apparently chose landline integration which means that you have to connect the landline to the wall port of the Ooma. If that is not what you want, call CS and ask them to switch your account to the non-integrated version and issue you a new (temporary) phone number. If you want to keep your phone number, you have to port it to Ooma($39.95).
#52471 by koongo
Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 am
I called up Ooma and it turns out my account was already set up for no land line.

In further discussion with the tech she had me connect my computer to the input of the modem and go to the Ooma setup page and read her the MAC address. It turns out the Ooma was reporting the incorrect MAC address and that even though I activated my Ooma and Ooma reported me as activated, my Ooma was activated with the wrong number because it did not match the real MAC address. (I am not making this up). The MAC address on the sticker on the bottom of the device does not match the MAC address the device reports.

So she made up a trouble ticket to change the setup at the Ooma company to match the numbers actually in my device. This will take a day or two she says and then hopefullly my Ooma telephone will work.

This is confusing. I can't understand how anybody actually gets this thing to work.

Koongo
#52474 by murphy
Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:26 am
koongo wrote:I called up Ooma and it turns out my account was already set up for no land line.

In further discussion with the tech she had me connect my computer to the input of the modem and go to the Ooma setup page and read her the MAC address. It turns out the Ooma was reporting the incorrect MAC address and that even though I activated my Ooma and Ooma reported me as activated, my Ooma was activated with the wrong number because it did not match the real MAC address. (I am not making this up). The MAC address on the sticker on the bottom of the device does not match the MAC address the device reports.

So she made up a trouble ticket to change the setup at the Ooma company to match the numbers actually in my device. This will take a day or two she says and then hopefullly my Ooma telephone will work.

This is confusing. I can't understand how anybody actually gets this thing to work.

Koongo

The Ooma has TWO MAC addresses. The MAC address on the sticker is the MAC address of the Home port and is the one used for activation. The MAC address of the internet port is one higher that the address on the sticker. If the Ooma is not set internally to use the built in MAC address, the internet port can end up spoofing the MAC address of whatever device is connected to the home port (computer or router).
#52506 by koongo
Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:03 pm
All I know is I have conflicting info from two Ooma techs and another opinion from this forum. I don't have a clue about what to do now.

Koongo