Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#52186 by kayembee
Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:23 am
I have been using my Ooma for several weeks and have been quite happy with the service. My only problem is that now I want to connect my other phones in the house to take advantage of the Ooma Telo. The phone that I currently have directly connected to the Telo is a Uniden DECT 6.0 and is working fine. Now I want to connect my Panasonic cordless system to the walk jacks so that I can have access to more than just the one phone. I had my previous provider (Frontier Communications) port my number which they did and then I had them cancel the other number and the DSL service I had with them. According to them, when they call the other number it indicates that the number is no longer in service. I am not using Comcast High Speed Internet.

I plugged the phone cord into the phone outlet on my Ooma Telo and plugged the other end into the walk jack. Then I plugged my Uniden phone into another wall jack in the house. When I pick up the phone to make a call, I hear a busy signal. Something is definitely wrong. Ooma support indicates that it appears that my previous provider has not released the lines and Frontier indicates that I no longer have any service with them and that I should check with my new provider as to why this is occurring. I have told them repeatedly that I do not have to use any wall jack with my current provider just to keep them from telling me the Ooma is responsible for the busy signal I hear. I could be wrong, but I find that hard to believe. I am so frustrated with this I don't know what to do with myself. I love my Ooma service, I just would like to have the flexibility of using the other phones I have in my house with this system.

If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. :cry:
#52188 by ntoy
Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:02 am
Hello,

Have you tried different wall jacks in the home to see if the Ooma dialtone is able to broadcast out?
What happens if you disconnect your telo from your wall jack & plug a regular phone in the wall jack - do you hear anything?
Although your number ported, your phone company may still be sending signal down the line. You could try to see if you can disconnect from the demarcation point. In other words, find a juction box where your telephone company's line joins your wiring to your home & disconnect it.
#52191 by kayembee
Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:22 am
I have only tried this in one other room and got the busy signal. I guess I should try to see if I get a dial tone directly from the Ooma box when taking the phone line from Ooma and plugging it into the jack. I will try a couple of other things and see what happens. I will let you know what happens. I am assuming that the phone company would have to come to my house to undo whatever they did to install the second line but they aren't. I have no idea when the junction box is, or I'd disconnect them myself.

Let me try a couple things and I will be back.
#52192 by southsound
Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:34 am
kayembee wrote: I have no idea where the junction box is, or I'd disconnect them myself.

If you have a single family home (not an appartment or condo) it should be pretty easy to find. Look outside the home for something that looks like this:
Image or Image or Image

Inside you will find either short cables with plugs for each line:
Or a swing-away hinged version of same:

Disconnecting should be as easy as unplugging the cables or swinging the plugs out of the jacks. I also recommend placing a note in the box that says, "Do No Reconnect! Customer Provided Equipment may be damaged!"
#52195 by kayembee
Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:15 am
OK, I had the swing out box. I went into the box and took the wires off of both screws. There was a voice and data area. I only removed the wires from the voice. No longer hear the busy signal on the phones. Hooked up the Telo as instructed. The extension phones are now totally dead when connecting to any of the phone jacks in the house. If I use my cell phone to call the Ooma number the Ooma will go to voice mail, but the other extension phones are not doing anything and no sound at all.

I am guessing that I either have a problem with all the jacks in my house and that would be pretty strange since I am the original owner of my home and it is only 6 years old. Do I need to disconnect the lines marked data as well? :?:
#52198 by southsound
Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:40 am
kayembee wrote:OK, I had the swing out box. I went into the box and took the wires off of both screws. There was a voice and data area. I only removed the wires from the voice. No longer hear the busy signal on the phones. Hooked up the Telo as instructed. The extension phones are now totally dead when connecting to any of the phone jacks in the house. If I use my cell phone to call the Ooma number the Ooma will go to voice mail, but the other extension phones are not doing anything and no sound at all.

I am guessing that I either have a problem with all the jacks in my house and that would be pretty strange since I am the original owner of my home and it is only 6 years old. Do I need to disconnect the lines marked data as well? :?:

In your original post, you said, "I am not using Comcast High Speed Internet. I assume that the not is a typo and you really meant I am NOW using Comcast... So I will also assume that the data lines do not need to be attached either.

When you disconnected the wires from the box did you leave them connected to each other? In other words, if you had two blue/white wires and two white/blue wires, did you leave matching wires connected? If your home phones were wired using a "star" topology, these connections are what makes the service connect to each jack. So if you have broken the connection, then there is nothing connecting the kitchen jack to the living room jack, etc. I recommend using Scotchlock connectors to reconnect the wires, again being careful to keep like colors together. You can buy them at Lowes or Home Depot. You may also do the same with the wires going to the jack marked Data.

Here is a picture of the Scotchlock connector:
#52200 by kayembee
Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:57 am
Ok, that makes sense. I do have Comcast cable modem. That was a typo. I just folded up the wires I took off and stuffed them back in the box and closed it. I was just on my way to Home Depot for some other things, so I will look for these scotchlocks you mentioned in the electrical area or ask someone to help me. I will then come back home and give it another try. I am hoping that this will work. I will also do the same thing as you indicated with the data area as well. There was two white wires wrapped around a screw and another wire wrapped about a red screw. I cannot remember the color of that wire. I am hoping that it will be the only other wire that is not connected in the box so that I will know. When I do the data area I will know better.

Again, I will let you know how things turn out...Thanks
#52202 by southsound
Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:08 pm
If there were two wires to one post, there were probably two to the other as well. Might be hidden under the other wires, but each jack would have had two wires connected for each jack. Just keep like colors together and you will be fine. Then you can hire out as an experienced VOIP installer! :P
#52216 by kayembee
Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:27 pm
Well I am not going to qualify as anyone's VOIP installer. I went to Home Depot and could not find the Scotchlock connector and no one working this evening had a clue. Lot of help they were. So I made an assumption that maybe I could use wire connectors to connect the two white wires in the voice section of the box. The data area only had two different color wires. I just put a connector them as well.

Came in the house hooked up my Ooma system and once again none of the jacks worked outside of the jack that the Ooma is plugged into. The Ooma will pick up the call but with no phone connected to the Ooma I don't know when it's ringing. When plugging the other phone into another bedroom wall jack it indicates that there is no service. So something is still very wrong. I am not sure I am ever going to get this working from my wall jacks. I am wondering if I just leave my cordless phone attached to my Ooma and forget the wall jacks since they don't seem to be working, if I can just get extension cordless phones. Will the extensions work?

The other disappointing thing about this whole setup is that I lose some of the features from my DirecTV now that I have no phone line. I guess it is not being able to get pay per view movies from the channel selector and not being able to view my caller ID on the TV screen.

Kind of disappointed by this. :|
#52222 by southsound
Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:36 pm
kayembee wrote:Well I am not going to qualify as anyone's VOIP installer. I went to Home Depot and could not find the Scotchlock connector and no one working this evening had a clue. Lot of help they were. So I made an assumption that maybe I could use wire connectors to connect the two white wires in the voice section of the box. The data area only had two different color wires. I just put a connector them as well.

Came in the house hooked up my Ooma system and once again none of the jacks worked outside of the jack that the Ooma is plugged into. The Ooma will pick up the call but with no phone connected to the Ooma I don't know when it's ringing. When plugging the other phone into another bedroom wall jack it indicates that there is no service. So something is still very wrong. I am not sure I am ever going to get this working from my wall jacks. I am wondering if I just leave my cordless phone attached to my Ooma and forget the wall jacks since they don't seem to be working, if I can just get extension cordless phones. Will the extensions work?

The other disappointing thing about this whole setup is that I lose some of the features from my DirecTV now that I have no phone line. I guess it is not being able to get pay per view movies from the channel selector and not being able to view my caller ID on the TV screen.

Kind of disappointed by this. :|

The wire connectors are fine but they don't have the gel inside that protects from condensation and corrosion. Also, there must be a second wire on that other connection - phones need two wires to work so it must be there, hidden behind something else. If the house is fairly modern the wires for the first line would be blue with a white stripe and white with a blue stripe. If the previous phones worked, then it must have connected at some time. I'd suggest checking again - if not, then the other option is to note what colors were used for the data pair - probably orange/white and white orange. Since you have already connected them at the NIB, you could go to each jack in your house, removing the blue/white and white/blue wires and replacing them with the orange/white and white/orange. Don't give up on that VOIP certification yet! Oh, and after you get things running with the orange/whte pair, next time you are at Home Depot ask them to get you Home Depot SKU # 125557 Ideal 25-Pack IDC Connectors - they cost $3.97 for the package. With the extras you will be all set for your new career!

PS - I have complete confidence in you being able to master this installation so don't give up! And yes, multiple handset DECT 6.0 phones will work great - I have a Uniden 5-handset system - but don't give up on your DirectTV features. :P