Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#52554 by murphy
Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:26 am
benk wrote:I did update the IP for my DynDNS account. And I always click the link to prevent expiration when I get email from them. If the DynDNS weren't working I doubt my URL would go anywhere. The fact that it takes me to the ooma setup page makes me think that that is not the problem.

Are you testing this from outside of your network? You can't test from inside your network because the Ooma does not support loopback. Test it from someone else's house or from work.

If you still get to the Ooma setup page from an outside computer, then you have port 80 forwarded to 172.27.35.1 inside of your Ooma box. Delete that port forward.
#52647 by benk
Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 am
Eureka! :D
Thanks murphy! How did you even know about the "loopback" issue?
I had not tested it from outside my network since making the most recent changes. But now everything works as desired from outside. From inside I can only get to the ooma-setup page, but that's no big deal.
#52654 by murphy
Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:39 am
benk wrote:Eureka! :D
Thanks murphy! How did you even know about the "loopback" issue?
I had not tested it from outside my network since making the most recent changes. But now everything works as desired from outside. From inside I can only get to the ooma-setup page, but that's no big deal.

I've been using DynDNS for a long time. This was immediately evident since I've had the same problem with other cheap routers in the past.
#55752 by benk
Mon May 17, 2010 9:25 am
An update for anyone who may reference this thread in the future...

I tossed out my cheep Belkin router and replaced it with a much more full-featured NetGear (still pretty cheap - $59).
All my problems are solved. Ooma Telo is now behaving herself behind the router, QoS is good, hardware firewall is up, dynamic DNS and webserver "loopback" isn't a problem.

Life is good.