Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#52106 by benk
Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:37 pm
I occasionally use the WebServer folder on an Apple computer to share files and web pages with clients and friends.
Before I installed my ooma Telo people could type my external IP address into a browser and it would take them to whatever I have in my WebServer folder. (I set up my router to forward port 80 to the local IP of the computer)

Now that the ooma is installed my IP address takes people to my ooma setup page! I've forwarded port 80 in the "Advanced" tab, but traffic still goes to the setup page.

The ooma is behind my modem, and in front of my router. I can't get it to work behind the router - firewall and QOS issues.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!
thanks.
#52108 by murphy
Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:41 pm
What did you forward port 80 in the ooma to?
It should go to the WAN IP address of the router.
#52116 by benk
Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:25 pm
I forwarded 80 to the default "Home Port" IP for on the telo. 172 27 35 1
I'll try to attach a screen shot...
Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 4734 times
#52125 by murphy
Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:28 pm
That's why it doesn't work. That "trick" should never be done when Ooma is in front of your router.

Forward port 80 to the IP address that the Ooma DHCP server assigned to your router.
Better yet, set the start and end IP addresses that Ooma can assign to 172.27.35.2.
That guarantees that your router will get 172.27.35.2
Then forward port 80 to 172.27.35.2
#52128 by coldsteel
Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:34 pm
Could you diagram your configuration? Do you have the OOMA in front of your router (I.e directly connected to your cable/dsl modem)?

If you don't then why are you forwarding port 80 on the OOMA to anything?
If you do then why dont you put your router in front of the OOMA the way you had it before you got the OOMA?
#52496 by benk
Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:02 pm
Thank you for the comments, sorry for the delayed reply - I was away for the weekend.

Here's my setup.
internet --> cable modem --> ooma --> router --> 2 computers

Originally I set up the ooma behind the router but ran into two problems:
1. Quality of Service issues including a noticeable delay and audio clipping/interference.
2. It ONLY worked with the router's firewall turned off. (even with all the recommended ports open on the router)

I posted this issue here: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7164&p=50583&hilit=benk#p50583

Phone service is OK now, but it's the web-server thing I'm stuck on. I use this service to access my web-server folder. https://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ So anyone can enter a URL like "my.site.com" and get directed to my IP and my router forwards it to the web-server folder on my computer. But now the URL takes them to my oomaSetup page.

These two screen shots show my current setup.
Attachments
Picture 3.jpg
Picture 3.jpg (102.48 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
Picture 2.jpg
Picture 2.jpg (110.3 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
#52498 by murphy
Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:57 pm
How are you updating DynDNS. You can't use the feature that may be built in to your router. You must run the client software that they provide to run on your computer. Virtually all routers implement their update protocol incorrectly.
#52502 by benk
Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:35 pm
I really don't know... I use the free Dynamic DNS service. I've never had to download anything. I assume it updates my IP as it changes, although it almost never does. It's always worked perfectly until ooma took over :)
#52508 by murphy
Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:21 pm
benk wrote:I really don't know... I use the free Dynamic DNS service. I've never had to download anything. I assume it updates my IP as it changes, although it almost never does. It's always worked perfectly until ooma took over :)

It remembered your IP address from when you registered. When you connected ooma to your modem, you got a different IP address and DynDNS was no longer correct. You must update at least every 28 days or they will cancel your free account. Go to their website and download and install "DynDNS Updater" on your computer. Paid subscriptions are not subject to automatic deletion.
#52544 by benk
Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:54 am
I did update the IP for my DynDNS account. And I always click the link to prevent expiration when I get email from them. If the DynDNS weren't working I doubt my URL would go anywhere. The fact that it takes me to the ooma setup page makes me think that that is not the problem.