Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#51347 by cpegeo
Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:49 pm
My situation right now is kinda tricky. I currently have ATT dsl combined with landline. I want to port my ATT phone number to ooma but am switching my internet from ATT to Charter cable in about a week. When I did the activation setup I chose not to get a temporary phone number because I thought that I would be able to port my number from ATT. It turns out that ATT wanted to charge me $10 extra for the few days that I would have dry loop until I switch to charter. So I have not issued the phone number port yet.

I have my system set up according to diagram "c" of page 20 of the quick start guide ("ooma hub device with a landline that has dsl service"). With the exception that the "phone" jack is actually connected to the wireboard for all the phones in my house.

The first question is... when I disconnect the "Wall" jack on the ooma hub from the phone service line, the hub stops working (flashing 1 & 2 and Play & FF). I am confused because I thought that the hub would work without a land line. Is this because I chose not to get a temporary phone number that the device will not work without the "wall" line being connected to landline service? I am a little worried because when I do get my charter internet installed. I am going to port my old phone number and disable the land line and old DSL service. If the device doesn't work with only being connected to the DSL/Cable modem than I am going to be screwed.

Thanks for any help.
#51352 by murphy
Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:45 am
cpegeo wrote:My situation right now is kinda tricky. I currently have ATT dsl combined with landline. I want to port my ATT phone number to ooma but am switching my internet from ATT to Charter cable in about a week. When I did the activation setup I chose not to get a temporary phone number because I thought that I would be able to port my number from ATT. It turns out that ATT wanted to charge me $10 extra for the few days that I would have dry loop until I switch to charter. So I have not issued the phone number port yet.

I have my system set up according to diagram "c" of page 20 of the quick start guide ("ooma hub device with a landline that has dsl service"). With the exception that the "phone" jack is actually connected to the wireboard for all the phones in my house.

The first question is... when I disconnect the "Wall" jack on the ooma hub from the phone service line, the hub stops working (flashing 1 & 2 and Play & FF). I am confused because I thought that the hub would work without a land line. Is this because I chose not to get a temporary phone number that the device will not work without the "wall" line being connected to landline service? I am a little worried because when I do get my charter internet installed. I am going to port my old phone number and disable the land line and old DSL service. If the device doesn't work with only being connected to the DSL/Cable modem than I am going to be screwed.

Thanks for any help.

If you did not get a temporary number, you chose landline integration. The hub will not work unless a landline is connected to the wall port of the hub. When the port completes they will automatically convert your account to work without a landline. Do not cancel your DSL based phone service. It will cancel automatically when the port completes. You may have to cancel the DSL service after the port completes.
#51363 by cpegeo
Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:06 am
Thanks very much for the info. I was guessing that was how it worked but just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.