Ooma Hub Wall Plug Questions

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
cpegeo

Ooma Hub Wall Plug Questions

Post by cpegeo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:49 pm

My situation right now is kinda tricky. I currently have ATT dsl combined with landline. I want to port my ATT phone number to ooma but am switching my internet from ATT to Charter cable in about a week. When I did the activation setup I chose not to get a temporary phone number because I thought that I would be able to port my number from ATT. It turns out that ATT wanted to charge me $10 extra for the few days that I would have dry loop until I switch to charter. So I have not issued the phone number port yet.

I have my system set up according to diagram "c" of page 20 of the quick start guide ("ooma hub device with a landline that has dsl service"). With the exception that the "phone" jack is actually connected to the wireboard for all the phones in my house.

The first question is... when I disconnect the "Wall" jack on the ooma hub from the phone service line, the hub stops working (flashing 1 & 2 and Play & FF). I am confused because I thought that the hub would work without a land line. Is this because I chose not to get a temporary phone number that the device will not work without the "wall" line being connected to landline service? I am a little worried because when I do get my charter internet installed. I am going to port my old phone number and disable the land line and old DSL service. If the device doesn't work with only being connected to the DSL/Cable modem than I am going to be screwed.

Thanks for any help.

murphy

Re: Ooma Hub Wall Plug Questions

Post by murphy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:45 am

cpegeo wrote:My situation right now is kinda tricky. I currently have ATT dsl combined with landline. I want to port my ATT phone number to ooma but am switching my internet from ATT to Charter cable in about a week. When I did the activation setup I chose not to get a temporary phone number because I thought that I would be able to port my number from ATT. It turns out that ATT wanted to charge me $10 extra for the few days that I would have dry loop until I switch to charter. So I have not issued the phone number port yet.

I have my system set up according to diagram "c" of page 20 of the quick start guide ("ooma hub device with a landline that has dsl service"). With the exception that the "phone" jack is actually connected to the wireboard for all the phones in my house.

The first question is... when I disconnect the "Wall" jack on the ooma hub from the phone service line, the hub stops working (flashing 1 & 2 and Play & FF). I am confused because I thought that the hub would work without a land line. Is this because I chose not to get a temporary phone number that the device will not work without the "wall" line being connected to landline service? I am a little worried because when I do get my charter internet installed. I am going to port my old phone number and disable the land line and old DSL service. If the device doesn't work with only being connected to the DSL/Cable modem than I am going to be screwed.

Thanks for any help.
If you did not get a temporary number, you chose landline integration. The hub will not work unless a landline is connected to the wall port of the hub. When the port completes they will automatically convert your account to work without a landline. Do not cancel your DSL based phone service. It will cancel automatically when the port completes. You may have to cancel the DSL service after the port completes.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

cpegeo

Re: Ooma Hub Wall Plug Questions

Post by cpegeo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:06 am

Thanks very much for the info. I was guessing that was how it worked but just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.