Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#50433 by Compfan03
Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:25 pm
I have my Ooma set up per instructions that came with my Ooma Hub:
Cable modem goes into Ooma
Ooma goes into router
Internet is quite slow 5 MPS Up ad 2MPS Down

Would this work:
Cable modem into router
Ooma into router

What do I need to do to make this work? Is there any downside.
Thanks so much. Other than this problem, Ooma works perfectly.
#50434 by tommies
Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:36 pm
Compfan03 wrote:Would this work:
Cable modem into router
Ooma into router

What do I need to do to make this work? Is there any downside.
Thanks so much. Other than this problem, Ooma works perfectly.

It works for me. I have my ooma behind my router for almost a year now. I was on DSL with 1.5Mb down/256Kb up, and recently I jump on Comcast cable with 10+Mb down/3+Mb up.

There is no down side, unleast you don't know how to setting up QoS on your router. However, with the speed of your connection, you're ok even without QoS except that you are a bittorrent heavy user.
#50439 by atici
Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:01 pm
Search the forum. Ooma works behind the router well. In fact, imo that's the optimal setup. But you need a router with QoS function that prioritizes outgoing ooma traffic. Otherwise you may have choppy sound when your network is loaded.
#50608 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:28 pm
I got my ooma hub between the cable modem and the router and it is working fine (not limited in download or upload speed).

When I set up the ooma hub, I was a bit worried though since just a couple of days prior, when I setup my new router, my download was limited to less than 1Mbps and I had to resolve this through router's "clone pc mac address" option.

I thought that if I plug my ooma hub into the cable modem before the router, I would have this download limit problem too but I didn't have the problem.
#51045 by Compfan03
Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:30 pm
I followed wendavid's directions and did the DMZ thing for the Ooma's IP address. Worked like a charm. I just feel better having my cable modem go directly into my new N Router, with no chance of anything slowing down the signal. Ooma works great. Thanks to all those who answered.