Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#50348 by Cozyone
Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:35 pm
I'm trying to work through a problem in setting up my Scout with a 2nd phone number after my home number was ported yesterday (on time by the way).

I have many many phone jacks in my home. The jacks in my home office were from an old 2nd line via the local Telco. Other jacks were for my primary phone line and also one in particular is my DSL jack. I have the Hub set up to that DSL jack and a splitter for use with a FAX machine. All has been well there.

The Scout when plugged into any one of my numerous jacks (with previous Telco phone service for my primary line) shows four red lights on the bottom row. Working with phone support this morning, we were able to piggyback the Scout onto the Hub and it functioned just fine. So, I have been told that I have an internal wiring problem and need to call out a technician to work with the wiring.

Now I'm not sure exactly what wiring needs to be worked on. Is it that the DSL line needs to be wired to more of the phone jacks? or is it something within how the jacks connect with each other? I just need to understand what to ask for when calling someone out to the house.
#50350 by murphy
Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:49 pm
The DSL signal goes to the DSL modem and no where else.
You need to connect the Wall port of the hub to the wall port of the scout.
There can not be a DSL signal on the wires that you use to make that connection.
Those wires also need to be disconnected from any outside feeds from land line phone companies.
It is allowed to have the ooma phone jack and the ooma wall jack connected to the same wires.
I did not do that. I used the line 2 wiring in my walls to connect the hub to the scout and the line 1 wiring to distribute dial tone to my phone jacks.
#50354 by Cozyone
Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:20 pm
I'm not sure that I understand the jack wiring still. Anyhow . . .

I have connected the Scout to the Hub and now all the cordless phones (from 2 bases) seem to be hooked up together. When I call my main phone number from a cell phone, all the phones ring. But when I call the secondary number, it goes straight to voicemail and doesn't ring the phones connected to the Scout.

I did register the Scout serial number when setting up the phone number preferences in my account. I wasn't sure whether the serial number included an O (letter) or 0 (zero), so I tried it both ways and this didn't change anything.

How do I go about configuring my Scout to function as a second line - to ring those phones in my home and to display that number in the caller ID system when I call out (rather than my main phone number)??
#50360 by murphy
Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:17 pm
Cozyone wrote:I'm not sure that I understand the jack wiring still. Anyhow . . .

I have connected the Scout to the Hub and now all the cordless phones (from 2 bases) seem to be hooked up together. When I call my main phone number from a cell phone, all the phones ring. But when I call the secondary number, it goes straight to voicemail and doesn't ring the phones connected to the Scout.

I did register the Scout serial number when setting up the phone number preferences in my account. I wasn't sure whether the serial number included an O (letter) or 0 (zero), so I tried it both ways and this didn't change anything.

How do I go about configuring my Scout to function as a second line - to ring those phones in my home and to display that number in the caller ID system when I call out (rather than my main phone number)??

You may have the problem where a number of scouts were shipped with the wrong serial number on the bottom. The only way to fix that is to call in and have them compare the serial number of the scout that is connecting to your hub with the number on the base of your scout.
#51604 by Cozyone
Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:25 pm
Okay I finally have this figured out, whew! My problem was a combination of both issues. My Hub was going to the same jack as my DSL (you mentioned it needed to be on a line free of DSL). Once I moved the Hub to another phone jack (I had 2 lines in the house), then it worked with the Scout just fine. The serial number was wrong too, so a follow-up call fixed that problem.

I am finally up and running with two separate phone numbers, my Hub and Scout. Had a little hiccough with Verizon shutting off my Internet this week because the folks that placed the order for my porting didn't do it correctly apparently. But that too is resolved.

Thanks for all the help - glad I didn't need to have anyone come out to re-wire as Ooma tech had suggested.