Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#49989 by swedrows
Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:03 pm
I wanted to share my porting success story for those that have their DSL/phone service combined on one account through AT&T. many people on here say you have to separate your dsl from your phone service before you request your port from Ooma....this is completely false. here is the EASIEST way to successfully port your number over, plus switch to a dryloop dsl service through AT&T.

1. Request port of your existing AT&T number through Ooma
2. Wait for confirmation e-mail from Ooma on your EXACT port date
3. Go to the AT&T website, browse the DSL section until you find dryloop dsl and order it online. simply add it to your cart and checkout. during this process, it will give you the earliest date that dryloop dsl can get activated at your house...you can change this to whatever date you want...i changed mine to match the date of my number porting.
4. sit back and wait for yoru port date.
5. you are now done!

AT&T actually makes this fairly easy if you switch to a dryloop dsl service because once your number is ported, they automatically cancel your dsl account since it was associated with our phone number, which is now ported to Ooma. if you ordered your dryloop dsl online and picked your date, they will activate it and you don't have to do anything yourself. the technician comes out (you don't even have to be home), and he hooks up dryloop dsl to your outdoor phone box. that's it. nothing complicated, no jumping through hoops or calling 8 different people at AT&T to try to separate your existing dsl from your existing phone service. simply setup a new dryloop dsl service through AT&T's website....easy? yes! pain free? absolutely!
#49993 by DTMF
Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:20 pm
swedrows wrote:many people on here say you have to separate your dsl from your phone service before you request your port from Ooma....this is completely false.

Since you posted this twice, I'll reply twice. It's Ooma that says that you have to do this. When I ported away from AT&T DSL, I couldn't initiate the port on my.ooma.com without agreeing that I had made arrangements with AT&T to SEPARATE my DSL from my POTS.
#50054 by swedrows
Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:33 am
DTMF wrote:
swedrows wrote:many people on here say you have to separate your dsl from your phone service before you request your port from Ooma....this is completely false.

Since you posted this twice, I'll reply twice. It's Ooma that says that you have to do this. When I ported away from AT&T DSL, I couldn't initiate the port on my.ooma.com without agreeing that I had made arrangements with AT&T to SEPARATE my DSL from my POTS.

clicking on the "i agree to separate my lines before porting" on the Ooma website has NOTHING to do with how porting of a phone number works....it was put there by Ooma to make sure your Ooma device is working after the porting of your number, but porting your number has NOTHING to do with whether your lines are separated or not.

if you understand the porting process, then you know that it DOESN'T matter whether your phone/dsl are on the same account, or on separate accounts. Ooma simply ports your number, and as soon as that is done, your phone company automatically cancels all services that were associated with that number. ooma requires an internet connection to work, but that is still a separate and different issue than the actual porting process....there is no gray area here, porting of a phone number does NOT require separate lines. for Ooma to work, you need a broadband connection, but porting the number requires only a valid phone number at the time.

and again, read my original statement again. it CLEARLY says "many people on here say you have to separate your dsl from your phone service before you request your port from Ooma....this is completely false". you are not really making any kind of valid argument because my statement said that you do not have to separate your dsl from phone before your request your port from Ooma....is there anything confusing in that statement that you do not understand?? it's pretty simple, and it is factual also. i don't want to beat a dead horse, but just because Ooma makes you "Agree" to separate your lines prior to porting, that has NOTHING to do with how the porting of your number works. you CAN port your number with combined phone/dsl service...it is up to YOU to establish dsl service again once the port is complete.

now that we cleared things up, let's move on