Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#49650 by KCJCoop
Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:05 pm
I called twice before I installed the Ooma. Both times the represenative that I talked to, told me that after I activated and got an Ooma number, I would then be able to put in a number request for a local number and get a local number. They said it would take two to three weeks. Well today I installed my Ooma, and called to put in a number request, and was told, there was no way I could get a local number. I feel that I was misled so that I would go ahead and install the product. I understand that they don't have the number available right now, but I was led to believe that it was as simple as putting in a request and getting it.

Disappointed.

I like the idea of saving money, but, my mother-in-law is 86 years old, and in failing health. The whole reason a local number is so important to me is for her to be able to contact me when she needs to without having to dial long distance.

My point is, if there is no way that I am going to get a local number, please don't lead me to believe that I can so I'll hook up the product. Its rude.
#49665 by Trekster
Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:58 pm
KCJCoop wrote:I called twice before I installed the Ooma. Both times the represenative that I talked to, told me that after I activated and got an Ooma number, I would then be able to put in a number request for a local number and get a local number. They said it would take two to three weeks. Well today I installed my Ooma, and called to put in a number request, and was told, there was no way I could get a local number. I feel that I was misled so that I would go ahead and install the product. I understand that they don't have the number available right now, but I was led to believe that it was as simple as putting in a request and getting it.

Disappointed.

I like the idea of saving money, but, my mother-in-law is 86 years old, and in failing health. The whole reason a local number is so important to me is for her to be able to contact me when she needs to without having to dial long distance.

My point is, if there is no way that I am going to get a local number, please don't lead me to believe that I can so I'll hook up the product. Its rude.

I can appreciate your feelings. I bought the Telo, AFTER talking to Sales and them telling me essentially the same thing. Basically, if they didn't have a number in my area, they would get me one with a simple request. My unit is just about 4 days old this evening. On the very first day I installed it, I took any number and immediately put in a request for a number in my area. After checking on the status of my request a few times, I was finally told today that they were ordering a few numbers in my area and with my local prefix. However, it would probably be 7 to 10 days before I could get my new number. I am trusting it will happen, but won't know for sure until the 10 days is up. Like you, my Telo is pretty worthless to me if I can't get a number in my local area so local contacts don't have to dial LD.

If I were you, I would call Tech Support again, and explain to them what you were PROMISED before the sale. Also, you might want to ask to speak to James. Keep us informed how things go.
#49698 by murphy
Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:16 am
The obvious solution is to convince your friends to switch to Ooma. Then their calls will be free and it doesn't matter what your number is.