Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#50099 by southsound
Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:55 pm
zip is 90004 areacode: 323

Just a thought since you are getting a new number... I have been using Google Voice as a front-end to my ooma systems for about 6 months. It really has no downside: free, gives you the option to set up call handling based on groups that you select (in other words, work can only call from 8:00 to 5:00, then it goes to voicemail), can ring your cell and your home, etc. It even has a transcription service that sends an email with an attempt at the voicemail content.

I just checked and GV has a lot of 323 numbers in your zip code. Most are 323-761-xxxx. You can choose from their entire list to get a number you like. This way, you could have a number today that was local and if at some future point ooma gives you a number you like, you can forward your GV number to it or just give out the new number.
#50122 by Cowpoke
Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:40 pm
Hi sholom,

I had similar problems with my Ooma installation. I also (rather quickly) blamed Ooma. However, when I checked my u/l d/l speeds, the problem was clearly not with Ooma (yet).

Since then I upgraded my internet service connection, and my Ooma has had me smiling. (I also purchased the Telo recently, though not 9 handsets.)

Check your u/l d/l speeds with one of the internet accessible speed checkers. They tend to inform whether or not your connection can handle VoIP.

...ride on...
Cowpoke
#50186 by oomg
Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:59 am
sholom wrote:
oomg wrote:What is you location zip code and local area prefix?

zip is 90004 areacode: 323

Now going on 6 days with nothing to show for it

Not quite sure why you are experiencing this problem. I just checked and there are about 20 numbers shown in your area, all of which are (323) 952-xxxx. Although the 952 prefix may not be the same as your existing prefix, the dialing area is the same which also means that those that could dial your existing number toll-free, will not incur a charge to dial the 952 prefix.