Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#49574 by Trekster
Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:32 am
Before ordering my new Telo unit, I talked to Ooma Sales and asked if I could get a phone number and prefix in my local area. They indicated if none were available when I signed up, to take any other number and then call them and put in a request for the number in my area. They felt I should have a proper number within 24 or 48 hours.

Shortly after I installed the new Telo, I put in the request and was issued a ticket number. I gave them the required Area Code and 20 different prefixes to choose from that would satisfy my needs.

Now, 3 days after the installation, and a couple of calls to Tech Sup, I still do not have a proper number, and I can't seem to get a definitive answer from the folks on the other end, as to IF a number will be assigned shortly or NOT.

The Telo unit seems to work just fine for outgoing calls, and I've tested it with a couple of incoming calls. I really hate to return the unit because I think it is a great product and service, but if I can't get a number (as promised) the unit will be worthless to me, since all of my local contacts would have to dial LD to reach me. Google Voice is not an option because I already tried that, and there is nothing available there either.

Anyone else have a problem getting a number assigned from their local area?
If it was assigned, how long did it take?

I wonder why Sales would tell me I could get a number, if they really cannot provide one? I guess I know the answer to that one. :x $$$$
#49605 by Trekster
Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:58 am
Update as of Mar 5, 2010, Noon.... A tech support person called me and indicated they were ordering some numbers that will be local to my area. He estimated it could be 7 to 10 days before they would be available. I'll be cautiously waiting for the 7 to 10 days to pass, and I can get a number assigned that is actually local to my area code and prefix.

Tech Support was quite understanding and helpful in this matter, so no complaints there. :)
#50064 by Trekster
Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:04 am
Update as of 3/9/2010

Talked with an Ooma Sales Rep yesterday and asked them to look into the delay in getting me a new number in my local area (proper Area Code and prefix). The Rep "was" trying to be genuinely helpful, but this issue remains unresolved.

It seems they have ordered a number for me from BroadVox, however, now I'm told the wait could be 4 to 5 weeks :o ...not days. Bummer! :cry:

Of course if I wait that long, the unit will be outside of the time frame where I could return it for a full refund (30 days from activation).

I have far too many local contacts (businesses, friends and relatives) to expect them to call me long distance. That is simply not an option. So, now it is decision time for me. The Ooma Telo has good quality, is reliable from day to day; two things the other devices I tried could not boast. However, without a local number, it will essentially be useless to me and a waste of time and money overall, since it would only be good for outgoing calls.

Now I am faced with the decision to "gamble" they will actually "ever" provide me with a local number, and keep the device past the 30 day trial period; or send it back now and recoup at least most of my purchase price. :?

It would have been nice if the Ooma Sales Rep I talked to PRIOR to ordering would have been more honest with me, regarding the ease with which I could get a number in my area. Also!!! :x The FAQ area of the Ooma website CLEARLY states; "When you register your Ooma device online, you will get to pick a new phone number in any area code in the US (except Alaska)." That is clearly a lie, since at the time of registration, there are NO WHERE NEAR all the area codes available for the new user to pick from.

And, if you think it is just a matter of taking a number outside your AC for a few days, and then requesting a new number from tech support, and installing it 3 or 4 days later.... THINK AGAIN!
#50511 by Trekster
Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:53 pm
Update as of Mar 15, 2010

Tech Support called this afternoon and said they had obtained a phone number for me that is Local to my Area and with the proper Prefix.

That was great news! :D

I powered down the Telo for about a minute, powered it back up and the new number was active. Made a test call to it, and from it; and everything seems to be working okay at the present time.

It appears they ordered 5 new numbers that were local to my area because now when I checked for available numbers, 4 others are now available in my AC and prefix.

I'm a happy camper.... :)
#50516 by southsound
Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:01 pm
Great news indeed! I'm glad that they were able to satisfiy your request. Now that things are working well, don't forget to visit the forum often and maybe even step in when you can help another user! :cool:
#50518 by Trekster
Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:15 pm
southsound wrote:Great news indeed! I'm glad that they were able to satisfiy your request. Now that things are working well, don't forget to visit the forum often and maybe even step in when you can help another user! :cool:

Oh, I'll be around.... as time permits. :)
#50532 by WHYGIRL
Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:04 pm
You're one of the lucky ones. I've been waiting for my number to port for over 4 weeks now. No response to my emails and no information on the phone. I have Verizon wireless. How long have other forum users waited for number porting?

I bought Ooma 12/31/09 and ordered number port with subscription to Ooma premier.
#50535 by Trekster
Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:14 pm
WHYGIRL wrote:You're one of the lucky ones. I've been waiting for my number to port for over 4 weeks now. No response to my emails and no information on the phone. I have Verizon wireless. How long have other forum users waited for number porting?

I bought Ooma 12/31/09 and ordered number port with subscription to Ooma premier.

Well, in all fairness, my number was not a "port". They simply needed to get me a number that would be local to my location. Before I purchased the Telo, I inquired if I could get a number in my area. They said then, to merely sign up and take any number and then request one from Tech Support, if no numbers were available in my area. That's what I had to do. The process of getting me a number was a lot more time consuming than I was led to believe, but finally, today... they fulfilled their promise.

So far at least, I have no other complaints, and the device seems to work completely as advertised. Sound quality is good, and my device is coming off my router, not between my router and the cable modem. Of the three companies I've tried so far, Ooma is way ahead of the other two as far as the product is concerned. I even think their Tech Support is getting better. (Fingers and toes crossed.... that it will continue to get even better.) :cool: