Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#49406 by davesanders
Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:44 am
I have tried ten different ways to connect my OOMA with my ATT DSL line that comes through my phone jack. I have used the DSL splitter (or whatever it's called that must be used for normal router and modem function), but no configuration I can come up with seems to work. Neither of the installation charts seem to address my problem.

I currently have DSL coming through my phone jack, thru splitter, into a separate router, then connected to my modem and then wireless modem. That gives me wireless internet in the house.

If you know how to connect this to OOMA I would greatly appreciate you walking me through EVERY step, including basic star up of OOMA, etc.

THANX,
DAVE
Last edited by davesanders on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
#49410 by murphy
Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:59 am
davesanders wrote:I have tried ten different ways to connect my OOMA with my ATT DSL line that comes through my phone jack. I have used the DSL splitter (or whatever it's called that must be used for normal router and modem function), but no configuration I can come up with seems to work. Neither of the installation charts seem to address my problem.

I currently have DSL coming through my phone jack, thru splitter, into a separate router, then connected to my modem and then wireless modem. That gives me wireless internet in the house.

If you know how to connect this to OOMA I would greatly appreciate you walking me through EVERY step, including basic star up of OOMA, etc.

THANX,
DAVE

You are going to have to explain your configuration in detail because what you said makes no sense. You can't connect a DSL phone line to a router (unless it's a combo DSL modem and router).
#49438 by coldsteel
Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:22 am
You might have to come up with a better definition of your configuration but I am going to assume that your internet (wired and/or wireless) is actually working which means that your router (wired and/or wireless) is actually working.

I am going to assume that when you say modem you mean your DSL modem so the FIRST TEST would be to simply plug the cable from your DSL modem directly into the OOMA and test the OOMA - which should work at that point.

SECOND TEST - plug the cable from the modem into your wireless router (as you seem to indicate that it is currently configured) and then plug your OOMA directly into on of the LAN connections on your wireless router I am assuming that your wireless router has a WAN port and at least a couple of LAN ports.

Try those two tests and then let us know what happens - I realize that your wireless router and DSL modem may not be located where you want your OOMA to be located but we're just troubleshooting your connectivity here.
#49523 by tommies
Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:39 pm
The DSL splitter is for connecting a DSL modem and a standard phone into one wall jack, and you don't need a DSL splitter if you just connect a DSL modem to the wall jack. (You should use the green phone cord to connect the DSL modem to the splitter/wall jack.)

You should try to connect your ooma as coldsteel suggested, using network cables (RG45)