Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#49274 by OomaTEC
Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:17 am
I am setting up 2 lines/numbers using whole house wiring and have 2 Core systems. I realized I have 2 options: Hub/Scout with Premier or 2 Hubs. I spoke with a CS yesterday and she said Ooma recommends using a Hub/Scout rather than 2 Hubs. Her reasoning was 2 Hubs will use more bandwidth than a Hub/Scout.

Has anyone tested this? Is voice quality any different? Other considerations to be aware of?

(Groundhound thanks for your help here:) http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6776
#49277 by southsound
Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:28 am
Some folks have reported a lower quality (for the party called) when the call is made using the scout. Others have not had that problem. Personally, I would use two of the hubs - one for each line. I am going to go on a limb here and assume that the bandwidth would be proportional to the number of simultaneous calls with maybe a tiny bit more overhead for the device setting them up. That might mean that the two hubs could take a little more bandwidth but until someone tests it, it will be just a guess. Remember too that there are some differences in call handling and a requirement for Premier if you use the scout for your second number. Sorry this is more opinion than fact. Maybe someone with two hubs can set up a test and track actual usage.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't at first realize that this was a more focused post that was spawned from your thread requesting knowledge of 3 lines on a pair of hubs. So what you really are looking for here is actual test data - not just an opinion.
#49296 by OomaTEC
Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:44 am
No southsound, I welcome your opinion. So you are right on both counts. I am looking for a "best case" solution to setting up Ooma for my 3 or 4 lines (as mentioned in previous posts) but the actual test data could be a big factor in how I set up my system. It seems like every time I think I've got it figured out I get a new piece of information that changes things.
#49341 by Davesworld
Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:40 pm
I'm sitting here with a hub, a telo and an audiocodes mp-118 fxs all hooked to my network, the telo and the hub are active and the mp-118 is also registered for a sip account and only one fxs port being used. The amount of bandwidth sits near zero most of the time with no active calls. If you had two active calls on a hub/scout combo, you'd certainly be using two instances of the iLBC codec rate. If you had two hubs both on active calls using g.711 it'd be more bandwidth only because you wouldn't be using the g.711 codec over the scout. I just can't imagine a hub/scout with two active calls not using twice the bandwidth of one call.
#49377 by OomaTEC
Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:09 am
Davesworld wrote:I'm sitting here with a hub, a telo and an audiocodes mp-118 fxs all hooked to my network, the telo and the hub are active and the mp-118 is also registered for a sip account and only one fxs port being used. The amount of bandwidth sits near zero most of the time with no active calls. If you had two active calls on a hub/scout combo, you'd certainly be using two instances of the iLBC codec rate. If you had two hubs both on active calls using g.711 it'd be more bandwidth only because you wouldn't be using the g.711 codec over the scout. I just can't imagine a hub/scout with two active calls not using twice the bandwidth of one call.

That's way over my head but I think you are saying 2 Hubs would use more bandwidth than a Hub/Scout. So my question is, would the difference be significant enough to influence my decision which line I assign/port to a Hub or Scout? VoipSpeedtest reports 5.13Mbps DL and 658kps upstream on our DSL. It seems I am on the cusp of having enough bandwidth for 3 lines anyway so it may be important how I set it up.
#49509 by OomaTEC
Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:42 pm
I just did a very unscientific experiment calling our 3 landlines from 3 Ooma lines at the same time (L1 Hub/L2 Scout, L3 Hub) and could not tell much difference between them. Again, not very scientific since some of the phones were cordless and some were corded, we tried every combination we could think of. The differences seemed to be more about which phone(s) we used rather than whether it was a Hub or a Scout.

I don't know how significant this is but I ran Speedtest at the same time and dropped from 5.13Mbps to 4.96Mbps DL and 658kps to 496kps upstream.
#49539 by Davesworld
Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:43 pm
OomaTEC wrote:
Davesworld wrote:I'm sitting here with a hub, a telo and an audiocodes mp-118 fxs all hooked to my network, the telo and the hub are active and the mp-118 is also registered for a sip account and only one fxs port being used. The amount of bandwidth sits near zero most of the time with no active calls. If you had two active calls on a hub/scout combo, you'd certainly be using two instances of the iLBC codec rate. If you had two hubs both on active calls using g.711 it'd be more bandwidth only because you wouldn't be using the g.711 codec over the scout. I just can't imagine a hub/scout with two active calls not using twice the bandwidth of one call.

That's way over my head but I think you are saying 2 Hubs would use more bandwidth than a Hub/Scout. So my question is, would the difference be significant enough to influence my decision which line I assign/port to a Hub or Scout? VoipSpeedtest reports 5.13Mbps DL and 658kps upstream on our DSL. It seems I am on the cusp of having enough bandwidth for 3 lines anyway so it may be important how I set it up.

I think I'll try to undo some of the confusion I created.

Two hubs are capable of using more bandwidth if you were to use g.711 on two calls simultaneously. With no intervention, you would be using iLBC on two calls in either case and thus it would be about the same. The scout would prevent you from using the g.711 codec very reliably so you would presumably only use iLBC on the scout at all times. If you want your second line to sound decent, use the second hub instead of the scout. Many of us think the scout sounds ok and it does on our end, what we never realized was how crackly calls over the scout sound to the other party you are speaking with. I have a short phone cord directly connected to my scout without using the house wiring at all and it does it here. This is the reason I started tinkering with multiport ATAs but some are simple and some complex.

Getting a Linksys PAP2 from ebay is a good way for most people in the BYOD crowd, it's really a fine unit. Seems like having separate discreet analog ports would serve many of us better. I'm not too keen on the Telo handset as being THE solution for additional lines nor the scout for that matter. Having said all this, the telo and hub are very easy to use and voice mail retrieval physically at the unit would likely please most people who are accustomed to answering machines.

Bottom line, using two hubs for regular voice calls should really see similar bandwidth as a hub/scout doing two regular voice calls. Of course buying multiple units can really add up as far as cost goes.
#49563 by sfhub
Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:36 am
Davesworld wrote:Of course buying multiple units can really add up as far as cost goes.

Offset by the cost savings of not needing to subscribe to Premiere (or pay for another line) if you otherwise don't need it.