Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#49176 by flavaj
Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:59 am
hi,

i recently went from att dsl+home phone service to att dsl direct "dry loop" and it has been a nightmare. basically found out that my old speedstream modem doesnt work w/ the "NEW" fiber optic technology that att u-verse uses. so they sent me a new 2wire gateway/modem. the ooma telo initially has solid blue and after a while, it just blinks red constantly. it does it by itself w/out me use'n the phone or anything else. i tested the ooma on my friend's comcast network and another friend's att dsl+home phone network and it's fine (constant blue light). so this leads me to believe either its the 2wire gateway/modem or the att u-verse service that is causing this. anybody that has my set-up encounter this problem before and if so, how was it fixed? please advise and thanks in advance.

john
#49179 by hpepper
Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:33 pm
Is the Ooma system on the same wire pairs as the DSL? For testing, you might want to disconnect anything into the Ooma phone port and just plug a phone into that port. Then restart the Modem, then the Ooma hub and see if it will work.

Also - does your Internet service work when the Ooma is blinking red?
#49181 by flavaj
Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:53 pm
hpepper wrote:Is the Ooma system on the same wire pairs as the DSL? For testing, you might want to disconnect anything into the Ooma phone port and just plug a phone into that port. Then restart the Modem, then the Ooma hub and see if it will work.

Also - does your Internet service work when the Ooma is blinking red?

thaks for the quick reply. yes, the internet service still works when the ooma device is blink'n constant red. can it be that the att u-verse 2wire gateway/modem sends some kind of weird signal that trips the ooma device?? or is there some kind of setting im miss'n in the ooma device? i already did the hold down "stop+trash" system reset and the ooma still goes into red mode by itself after initial solid blue. i tried (2) connections, (1)ooma device plugged straight into att gateway/modem and (2)ooma device into my cisco/linksys router and still does same thing. just dont know what can it be??? :(
#49182 by flavaj
Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:04 pm
hi, just an update. im currently at friend's house who has att dsl + home phone service and the ooma device just started blink'n red by itself. it just took a little longer this time for it to act up. weird how it didnt act up last time when i was here?? but i only plugged it in for 5 mins and had to leave. time to call customer support to swap out a new one.

john
#49193 by flavaj
Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:59 pm
sldfjl wrote:i saw this issue on here before, there are firewall changes you need to make. search for the thread, its here somewhere

thanks for the reply! well, i just got off the phone w/ ooma tech support and they told me firewall has to be turned off and whatever i'm connected to has to have dynamic ip address. does att dsl have dynamic or static ip address?? then he calls me back and says the ooma is blink'n red cuz it's download'n firmware update. it's been red for the last hour..., update shouldnt take that long????? i'll try turn'n off the firewall to see what happens.
#49212 by flavaj
Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:16 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello flavaj,

Looks like your telo is working now.

hey ntoy,

i've done numerous testing at my "workplace" w/ the ooma device w/ different routers today. the problem still exist when i plug it directly into an att adsl modem. it also happens w/ a motorola router. BUT..., for some reason, it doesnt happen when i plug it into the vonage d-link voip router. i called vonage to ask how they set-up their router and the gentleman was kind enough to give me info on how the firewall is behind the voice capability AND even told me to go into my att u-verse firewall settings to enable dmz to all devices to see if the ooma will work??? (dont know if this makes sense to anyone cuz i'm just stating what i think he told me...) i'll try do'n this at home to see if it works. i really hope it does......

john
#49233 by luntam
Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 pm
Here is my setup:

Uverse gateway --> port 4 on dmz --> linksys wrt160n router --> Ooma telo.

Somewhere in the forum, i posted the port # i opened using port forwarding to telo. No issues.
#49293 by flavaj
Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 am
luntam wrote:Here is my setup:

Uverse gateway --> port 4 on dmz --> linksys wrt160n router --> Ooma telo.

Somewhere in the forum, i posted the port # i opened using port forwarding to telo. No issues.

thanks luntam! i'm not technical, so please bear w/ me. so do i just go into the firewall settings of the u-verse gateway and just enable dmz? is port forwarding also done on the u-verse gateway?? please advise.