Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#49002 by just4fn
Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:19 pm
I am using a comcast cable modem that is about 5 years old. My QOS is very erratic. sometimes it's 96% sometimes 45%. The jitter ranges for 2.2 to 7or 8. Do you think a new cable modem would help? I did but a new dlink dr655 router and it works fine.
#49003 by dtalwar
Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:54 pm
There may be other problems that are giving you those kinds of results. Could you post the signal levels at the modem?
#49007 by murphy
Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:47 am
just4fn wrote:I am using a comcast cable modem that is about 5 years old. My QOS is very erratic. sometimes it's 96% sometimes 45%. The jitter ranges for 2.2 to 7or 8. Do you think a new cable modem would help? I did but a new dlink dr655 router and it works fine.

If you are renting that cable modem from Comcast, take it to their local office and tell them you want a newer one. You don't have to explain why. That's the only upside to renting IMHO.
#49165 by ladysman
Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:05 am
I can tell you that I went to a house last week (comcast user) with back speeds, high pings, etc. Multiple power cycles didn't help. I had them buy the new Motorola 6120 modem and their speeds and service skyrocketed. It's an expensive modem but it's future proof as it has DOCSIS 3.0. Highly recommend.
#49205 by hackerguy
Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:38 pm
Glad to hear your good experience with the Motorola SB6120 modem. I also have an older modem that I am renting from Comcast. The rent was $3/month. Then without warning they increased it to $5/month. So I ordered the SB6120 today from Amazon for $94.10 with free shipping. I did a lot of research and it comes highly recommended.
#49256 by ladysman
Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:23 am
hackerguy wrote:Glad to hear your good experience with the Motorola SB6120 modem. I also have an older modem that I am renting from Comcast. The rent was $3/month. Then without warning they increased it to $5/month. So I ordered the SB6120 today from Amazon for $94.10 with free shipping. I did a lot of research and it comes highly recommended.

No problem. I need to get one myself but my speeds are so good, I don't want to screw up a good thing. :) I have now installed 2 of these, I did another one with good results. Same position as you on the $5 as well all hate giving comcast anymore money. ;)