Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#2893 by Goodcooker
Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:26 am
I have the blue light on the Hub, but just want to ensure what I've done to get the blue light is right.

When I started my install, I had problems connecting the Hub to my DSL modem / separate router network. It didn't work when placed between router and DSL modem. No blue light, and no network connection for my PC. Also, it didn't passthrough network signal to my main PC when attached between the router and PC. I got the blue light, but no signal to the PC.

I've now just added a separate network drop to the ooma Hub without attaching any PC network cable to the HOME plug, along with the landline connection.

The Hub light is now Blue, so I assume it is okay (not sure if I can test it yet - need to transfer my landline number, and there are no temp numbers available for my area code). I just wanted to confirm that having it as a separate device off of my router with no passthrough to a PC is feasible or desireable. The setup.ooma.com URL is broken, and other suggested links also fail. Not sure what else I need to do.

Should this work, or any suggestions for improvements? And thanks in advance for your help!
#2897 by murphy
Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:46 am
setup.ooma.com only works if the PC that you are using is connected to the Home port on the hub.
#2898 by Goodcooker
Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:53 am
Yup - just occurred to me after posting. I checked it, and changed my main PC to Dynamic DCHP, and now the PC connects to the internet, and I'm able to see the Setup page on ooma.

So far so good. Thanks!
#2906 by Buggy222
Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:09 pm
I have gone back and forth and connected it both ways. I found that whenever I switched between positions, I needed to take care to power everything off for a couple of minutes, and then power on modem first, then Ooma (if it was next in the chain), then my router.

With Ooma between modem and router, I did have to use setup.ooma.com to limit the DHCP assigned to the router range to a single address, and to set the Ooma DMZ to that IP. With that done, I got Internet on my network, and am able to come in from the outside to view my IP cameras from my cell phone. That confirmed to me that Ooma was passing through all ports.

Having tried it both ways, I cannot detect any difference in quality of service and right now I have it configured the same way as you. I did set my router to provide high QoS on the port I have my Ooma hub connected too.