Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#48699 by marksan
Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:21 pm
I have bought an Ooma hub and scout. I currently only have one phone number for both of the devices. Can someone guide me through the steps to add another phone number such that the hub is assigned one number and the scout is assigned another number?

If I port over a phone number, do I lose my previous number? How can I port over a number such that it is added on as my second number? Thank you for the help.
#48700 by ggilman
Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:06 pm
1. Go to https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers and click "add a phone number". If you have premier or even the trial of premier, it is free. Otherwise, it's $4.99/month.

2. On the same page, click "Add a personal device".

Follow the page from there. I'd like to walk you through further but I don't want to actually add a device myself & don't recall the exact process but I've gone through it before & hopefully the first two steps will get you on your way.

I had 2 phone #s on my hub/scout prior to porting 2 numbers in. The first number you port in will port into your primary phone # position (the phone number you already have set up). The number that was in that slot will go to your secondary slot (virtual number). The current virtual number you had will disappear. That is the default behavior. If you want something different to happen, make notes on your porting request.
#48706 by marksan
Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:26 pm
Thank you for the help but there is no "add a phone number" option. That is why I am confused. Here is a screen shot of what I see: http://i45.tinypic.com/1gr3w9.jpg

Also, I assumed that the scout would give me a second number for free. I'm no longer in the premier trial. :(
#48709 by ggilman
Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:32 pm
And no, sorry, scout doesn't give you a virtual number. Without a virtual number, you obviously can't have different numbers assigned between the hub and telo either. If you're seriously thinking about adding a vn, you should consider going for full Premier since just the vn alone is half the cost and Premier adds so much more.
#48710 by marksan
Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:36 pm
Thanks again, but your link redirects back to the generic add-ons page. I'm going to give the fellows at Ooma a call to see if I can do this over the phone.

Update:

For those of you that were confused like me, here is what CS told me:
If you don't have a premier account you can only have one phone number. PERIOD! If you want a second phone number you have to get premier. If you want three phone numbers, you would get premier and then sign up for an additional phone number for $5/mo. Even if you got a second number during the trial, it will disappear when your premier trial ends.

The "instant second line" feature of the scout refers to the fact that you can make an outgoing call while the line is being used by the hub but this does not include an additional number. This feature can only be used if you have premier service.

In conclusion, you must have premier to have two numbers or more with Ooma. The scout acts as a second answering machine player and gives the ability to make outgoing calls while the line is busy if you have premier. Without premier service, the scout only serves as a second answering machine and nothing more.