Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#2859 by sburke39
Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:10 pm
I activated my ooma hub two days ago with a connection to my landline. I have a phone cord connected to the landline wall jack and a phone plugged into the back of the ooma hub. Everything seems to be working fine and I'll likely drop the landline after I'm fully convinced the call quality will remains high and things work as expected.

One unexpected thing I have found is the need to keep the landline connected to the ooma hub. Just out of curiosity, I disconnected the phone line running between my land line wall jack and the ooma hub. The hub shuts down after a few seconds. Why is this? I would assume (yeah, I know what that stands for) that I would still be able to dial out over the VoIP connection.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any idea why why the hub works this way?

Thanks!
#2865 by inrame
Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:15 pm
that is because of the way it was initially setup by defining a land line and the hub is expecting a connection. if you don't want to use a land line, you would have to call ooma and have them change the configuration of your service.
#2873 by av8rdude
Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:36 pm
inrame wrote:that is because of the way it was initially setup by defining a land line and the hub is expecting a connection. if you don't want to use a land line, you would have to call ooma and have them change the configuration of your service.

Yes because choosing to keep you landline in the setup....you are still only using your landline. The ooma hub does nothing but pass the landline on to the phone. I don't know why they even offer this as a setup option.

Scott
#2932 by sburke39
Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:11 pm
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I realize I set up the ooma with the landline connection, but I am still curious as to WHY the landline has to be connected. Setting it up as I did should be purely a matter of conveience; for the 911 calls, letting others see my landline number on their caller ID, etc. But it appears to be a requirement.... sort of...

To av8rdude's point: Something I forgot to mention in the earlier message: when I disconnect the landline there is a short period of time when I can still dial out thru ooma. Since the landline is disconnected, the call has to be going out over the internet. The "short period of time" has varied between 20 seconds and a couple of minutes. When the ooma tab goes from blue to red, I can no longer dial out. Also, if somone calls the landline and it is answered on a phone not connected to the hub, I can still dial out via ooma. So there has to be some level of VoIP connectivity going on.

FWIW...