Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#48234 by OomaTEC
Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:56 am
My previous post was for 3 lines but after further research I want to integrate all four lines into Ooma.

Current setup:
"I have 2 core systems and 3 phone lines/numbers I will be porting. Line1=main number, Line2=work number, Line3=guest house number (used occasionally in main house). Currently I have Line1 on the Hub and Line2 on a Scout using whole house wiring and a 3 way splitter plugged into a single jack. (L1 to Hub, L2 to Scout and L1&L2 to a two line phone). DSL is on Line4 and will remain a landline not integrated into the Ooma system. So far so good, all jacks in house work fine.

I have DSL with a DLink DSL 2540B integrated modem/router so the modem port of the Hub plugs into the router. There is no separate modem port on the DLink. Nothing connected to the Home port of the Hub. VoipSpeedtest reports 5.13Mbps DL and 658kps upstream with no other activity. So far so good, works fine."

Proposed New Setup:
I would like to integrate line 4 (my DSL/fax line) and keep it as a landline. After reading many posts on how others have done this I am not clear on the best way for my setup. I appreciate the assistance.
#48239 by Groundhound
Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:44 am
OomaTEC wrote:I have DSL with a DLink DSL 2540B integrated modem/router so the modem port of the Hub plugs into the router. There is no separate modem port on the DLink. Nothing connected to the Home port of the Hub. VoipSpeedtest reports 5.13Mbps DL and 658kps upstream with no other activity. So far so good, works fine.

This sounds like you only use your DSL connection for Ooma and not for any other Internet access, is this correct?

With a second Ooma Hub your fax line would need to be shared on the Hub, with it connected to the wall port on the Hub. Since it is also your DSL line you would need to split the DSL onto a separate jack so you could then also connect a scout to the Hub's wall port (via a standard splitter) and assign the additional Ooma number to the Scout.
#48252 by OomaTEC
Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:38 am
Sorry for not being clear. I will identify L4 as DSL/landline and L3 as a phone line to be ported and distributed throughout the house. I do use the DSL for internet (only using one wall jack at the Hub). I use an integrated modem/router and various switches to connect about 12 devices. I was planning on setting it up just like my first Core but use the ATT DSL/phone splitter at the wall jack. DSL side going to the modem and phone side to the Hub phone port. Then connect Hub wall port to Scout wall port and distribute line 3 through the phone ports to other wall plugs in the house.

What's different from my other Core installation is the DSL is a landline and won't be distributed throughout the house. I plan on using a splitter or simple switch for the fax on L4.

Groundhound, I think this is what you are saying.
#48255 by Groundhound
Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:51 am
I guess the potential issue that stands out to me is your upstream bandwidth of 658 kbps. With 12 devices and 4 Ooma lines things might become a bit bandwidth-constricted at times depending on how much Internet traffic those other devices generate.
#48281 by OomaTEC
Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:26 pm
Groundhound wrote:I guess the potential issue that stands out to me is your upstream bandwidth of 658 kbps. With 12 devices and 4 Ooma lines things might become a bit bandwidth-constricted at times depending on how much Internet traffic those other devices generate.

Good point, I am wondering about that myself. The good news is, 6 of the devices are PC's and only 2-3 of them have much internet traffic during the day. One device is actually a WiFi access point so there won't often be much going on there. Three devices are DVR's and most of that traffic is after 1:00 am. I included the 2 Ooma hubs in the 12 devices. Since one of the 4 lines is only for fax and landline backup, I don't expect much there we can't manage.

My concern is quality if all three voice lines are in use at the same time. Given the additional information above, do you think I will have any problems with that?

The only reason I am considering adding the L4 now is because I believe a fax must be hooked up to the Hub, not a Scout. If I set up L3 on the Hub now and decide later to add L4, I will have to reconfigure it. Right?
#48290 by Groundhound
Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:29 pm
You are correct about the fax needing to be on the Hub, not the Scout.
I'm not familiar with the QoS capabilities of your router, but as long as they are good and your connection is consistent, and you don't mind the slowdown that means for the rest of your devices, you should be OK.

Edit: The above assumes you will be running both Ooma Hubs behind your router.
#48924 by OomaTEC
Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:43 am
Confusing information re: second line/number. I have read the following on different posts re: the second line:

"In conclusion, you must have premier to have two numbers or more with Ooma. The scout acts as a second answering machine player and gives the ability to make outgoing calls while the line is busy if you have premier. Without premier service, the scout only serves as a second answering machine and nothing more."
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6850

AND

"If you have Premier, the second number is free. If you don't have Premier, your roommate owes you $4.99 per month as long as it is there. Why does your roommate have your MY Ooma login credentials? If you have a credit card stored in your account, the new number was charged to your credit card. You can have up to 9 (I think) phone numbers with Ooma."
https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3552&start=0

Two calls to CS; one confirmed the first quote, the second confirmed the second quote. Could someone please clear this up? I currently don't have any use for Premier service except I need the second line(s) for porting my numbers.
#48931 by Groundhound
Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:31 am
I think you're confusing lines with numbers (or maybe CS is confused - wouldn't be the first time). With Premier you have two lines, or the ability have two calls in progress simultaneously (requires a Scout for the second line). You also get a second number with Premier if desired, but even with only one number you can have two calls in progress with Premier. You can have more than two numbers for extra cost (not sure of the limit), but only two lines.
#49061 by Groundhound
Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:49 pm
You have to have Premier for the second line. I think it is possible to buy a second number without Premier (not sure), but you would only have one line - both numbers would ring the same line.