Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#47700 by rodwed
Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:17 pm
First, I am asking this on behalf of my sister several hundred miles from me. She just got a Ooma system(non telo) and would like to use her existing phone jacks(she does not have landline phone service). I have explained to her what is supposed to be the best way to connect. Briefly, here's what she has done: (1) Setup the Ooma- It works fine when she connects a phone directly to the phone input on the Ooma. (2) Tried to connect from Ooma phone input to closest wall jack. She then tried to plug a standard phone into a phone jack in another room, no dialtone. (3) She has unplugged the modular jack from the NIB outside.
So, if she can't get a dialtone using the existing phone jacks, what can be done to test the wiring in the house? I know the blame could possibly be on the phone cord she is using to connect to the wall jack, the wall jack itself, and who knows what else. She really wants this to work because she just went out and bought a corded standard phone and wants to use it.
Thanks in advance.
#47707 by murphy
Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:45 pm
Double check that she is connecting the phone jack of the hub to the wall and not the one labeled wall.
She should try all of the jacks in the house to get a map of what works and what doesn't. That includes feeding the wall from a different jack than she started with.
#47709 by rodwed
Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:50 pm
She is connecting the phone line to the "phone" jack on the hub. I also assume that when you say try all the other jacks, is there a way other than actually relocating the modem and router?
#47711 by murphy
Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:17 pm
rodwed wrote:She is connecting the phone line to the "phone" jack on the hub. I also assume that when you say try all the other jacks, is there a way other than actually relocating the modem and router?

Sure get a really long phone cord. This is only for a test. She can also join phone cords together with a double female connector. Available at Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes to name a few.
#47715 by jdorin
Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:36 pm
I had Telco-provided DSL before migrating to Clear, a WiMax provider available only in some locales, so far. Telco had separated DSL from the voice circuit, providing DSL at one phone jack near my computer, while the voice circuit existed at all other phone jacks in the house.

Tell Sis to try connecting Ooma to a different phone jack .. she may be plugging into the old DSL circuit.

Good luck, Sis :cool:
#47720 by rodwed
Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:50 pm
Just checked with sis and she has never had dsl. When she bought her new home 3 years ago, she began using cable for internet immediately.
She did say she would try connecting the two long phone lines she has and running it to the jack in her kitchen. She says that would be a lot easier than moving the modem and router.
Let's see what happens.
#47728 by rodwed
Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 pm
Latest update is that sis connected two long lines and ran it to her kitchen and plugged it into the wall plug there and got a dial tone. The 3rd phone jack in the house is too far away for her line to reach. So now what should she look for in the phone jack that she knows doesn't work(besides the obvious of checking the wire connections).
#47751 by murphy
Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:36 am
rodwed wrote:Latest update is that sis connected two long lines and ran it to her kitchen and plugged it into the wall plug there and got a dial tone. The 3rd phone jack in the house is too far away for her line to reach. So now what should she look for in the phone jack that she knows doesn't work(besides the obvious of checking the wire connections).

You need to check the wiring to the back of the bad jack.
If the house is home run wired (star wiring) where each jack is wired to a common point, the wiring at the common point needs to be checked to see if that run was disconnected for some reason.