Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#47649 by sputicus
Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:26 am
I just called QWest and told them I was going to port my number to another service, but I wanted to keep my DSL, so I wanted my services separated. The agent told me that doing so was not necessary. When the number port takes place, a new number will be assigned to my Quest voice service and both the voice and DSL service will remain active. I will then have to call back and terminate my voice service, if that is what I want to do.

Anyone else had this experience or have been successful with this approach?
Last edited by sputicus on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
#47654 by kruegs
Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:37 am
Yes, I can 100% confirm that is the case (for me at least). I ported my phone number away from Qwest last week and it went without a hitch... no need to separate services. They will give you a "dummy" number for your dry loop DSL after the port completes. Sit back and relax... no need to separate the services!
#50525 by sputicus
Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:08 pm
Just finishing up this thread. Last Friday number port completed. I tried calling myself from my mobile phone when I woke up and got "number disconnected," then by the time I left for work dialing myself went straight through to my ooma line.

I called Qwest today, Monday, to disconnect the voice line, and they told me that it had already been done, and I should now be charged only $28/month for my internet service.

In 6 months time I should have recovered my investment in the Ooma equipment.
#50550 by scoutconnor
Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:47 pm
sputicus wrote:Just finishing up this thread. Last Friday number port completed. I tried calling myself from my mobile phone when I woke up and got "number disconnected," then by the time I left for work dialing myself went straight through to my ooma line.

I called Qwest today, Monday, to disconnect the voice line, and they told me that it had already been done, and I should now be charged only $28/month for my internet service.

In 6 months time I should have recovered my investment in the Ooma equipment.

It is great when people ask questions, get answers, and then post a confirmed solution to their original question. This helps make the forums more valuable as a resource of information for people.
Although I don't work for Ooma, thanks for your conclusion post!