Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#52533 by Hollywood
Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:07 am
I was going to post earlier yesterday that I am glad I added a battery backup to my Modem>Ooma>Router as we had a 45 minute power outage. I was able to make calls even though the power was out :)

bad news, my best friend around the corner from me called from his cell because his Ooma (that I talked him into buying) did not come back up. I said I would come over and reboot the modem, then the Ooma, and then the router, and restart his computer. I was sure it would work. It didn't :(

I have it over here at my house where I know all of my setup works. I replaced his telo for mine, and all it does is keep rebooting. I tried the factory reset (stop & trash) and it seemed to react as what was written in this forum, but the Ooma light never got to the online blue light.
...and then it kept rebooting.

At certain points I was able to get setup.ooma.com to partially display. It looked like the setup screen header and all, but no data. After more rebooting the setup.ooma would not work.

Looks like this might be another bad unit like the poster above. I will call Ooma support tomorrow for my friend, but if anyone knows anything or has any ideas, let me know as i will check here again before I call.

THANKS!
#52536 by murphy
Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:40 am
Try your power supply on his Telo and his power supply on your Telo. Depending on the circumstances of the power failure his power supply may have failed due to a surge where yours was protected by the UPS.
#52537 by Hollywood
Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:23 am
murphy wrote:Try your power supply on his Telo and his power supply on your Telo. Depending on the circumstances of the power failure his power supply may have failed due to a surge where yours was protected by the UPS.

good idea, but already tried that. I hooked up just the telo in place of mine. I used all of my cables and power supply. I put my telo back and it came up just fine.
#52540 by swong
Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:44 am
Mcguiver7,
Been reading all the postings on your thread and like yourself, I purchased my Telo from a non-retailer however my Telo was guaranteed to be Brand New (NIB) with a guarantee it was never activated. I went through the activation process a few weeks back and the whole process was both pleasant & successful. Since then, I've purchased additional Telos for family members from eBay with stipulation they be "never been activated" and NIB (new in box). I am on my 4th eBay purchase and am now considering used eBay Telos as you can get them pretty cheap compared to retail pricing. My concern being I was uncomfortable if the rumors $60 for a re-activation was indeed factual. Thank you for your detailed postings and I would appreciate it if you would keep us all updated on your friend's re-activation process. I am very happy with my Telo however I am still waiting for my porting to get completed. I am now on my 3rd week of waiting for this porting, have received the usual Ooma confirmation this would be completed by Thurday of next week, April 15th (originaly activation on Monday, March 22nd). I don't know if Ooma is "blowing smoke" considering my brother-in-law completed his porting in less than 1-1/2 weeks. FYI, I have been paying $180 on average for each new Ooma Telo on eBay but am willing to gamble you can bid and win a used Telo on eBay for $60 leaving just a re-activation to be initiated. I suspect you can probably install a used Telo however the assigned number might be a phone number not local to your home thereby making it dangerous as others might have it's userid and password to use against you. Keep us posted if you don't mind?