Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#47504 by mcguiver7
Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:56 am
I bought the device off of someone. First I called techsupport and I was assured all it needed was a reactivation. He setup a ticket number and said someone would call me or email me. A few days later no call or email. I called back and they said there was no existence of my ticket number. So I stated I needed a reactivation. They reactivated the device after charging me $60 which I was aware of the fee. 24hrs later the Telo was still not working so I called back and support said it would require 48hrs before it would work. 48 hrs later it's still not working so I called again. I explained what the device was doing and after checking a few things from the setup page they said their system was down (2:00 pm est 2/17/10) and they would call me back tomorrow. So i've been told nurmerous times I would recieve a call back and never do. The person giving me support tried to tell me that a faulty ethernet cable would cause the device to consistently reboot. I'm a computer science engineer and i know very well that's a fairly poor excuse.

Problem:

Device constantly reboots (1,2 lights, trash and mail light, reverse-stop-play-forward light individually and sequentially). At one point the Ooma logo would light up blue and flash blue. Now the device does nothing, but cycle through reboots.

Setup:
Ooma connected to router (tried connecting inbetween, but device keeps rebooting which kills my internet)
one phone connected to phone port
lan line disconnected from phone company

Can someone from support please contact me?

Matt
#47549 by amoney
Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:32 pm
In the past threads, a endless reboot indicates death.

You can attempt to connect to the HOME port and see if you can get to the setup.ooma.com page of the device but I doubt you will.

Better contact the person you bought from and additionally, tell Ooma no thanks.

Last ditch effort, since the Telo should still be under its original warranty, see if Ooma will cover it, not sure of the warranty terms when a Telo is resold. Lest Ooma to shock us and get a new customer up and running.
#47598 by mcguiver7
Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:56 am
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully they will replace it or atleast call me back. Just what really gets me is that before hand tech support garunteed me that all it needed was a reactivation. So I forked over the $60. So now if they don't replace it then to me that's being decietful and dishonest.

Kinda weird that before they activated it, the Ooma Logo would flash blue then after activation it does nothing, but reboot. Was it possible that during the reactivation they could have done something to it?

Matt
#47602 by amoney
Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:27 am
mcguiver7 wrote:Thanks for the advice. Hopefully they will replace it or atleast call me back. Just what really gets me is that before hand tech support garunteed me that all it needed was a reactivation. So I forked over the $60. So now if they don't replace it then to me that's being decietful and dishonest.

Kinda weird that before they activated it, the Ooma Logo would flash blue then after activation it does nothing, but reboot. Was it possible that during the reactivation they could have done something to it?

Matt

Unlikely that Ooma did something worng, as I understand they do not go into your box, all they really do is add the Telo MAC address identification (based on the code you gave them on the bottom of the Telo), to their servers to allow it to connect.

Typically what happens during a new installation is that the device connects, solid blue, and then a few minutes later it will begin downloading firmware updates (if any). So unless you ever noticed the Telo connect solid blue, does not seem like it ever had a chance.

I recall ONE thread that a user moved and the Telo was unplugged for a few days, and when they went to reconnect, nothing but endless reboots.

What ever you do, dont wait for Ooma to call back, call Ooma, and if you have not done so, make sure you speak with the sales department, perhaps they can help. And if you get the line they will call back in a day, just call back and get someone else and try again. You might as well check on the warranty terms to see where you stand in the first place.
#47659 by mcguiver7
Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:22 am
Called tech support and now they say the reoccuring reboot is due to my upload speed (370kbps) not being fast enough (384kbps).

The requirements listed on the site are:
"All you need is a high-speed Internet connection (cable, DSL or fiber-optic) and a regular home phone."

I meet these requirements above. Why am I being told i need a minimum speed of 384kb upload now? to upgrade my internet service is way more expensive. i might as well just bundle in voip with my internet provider. I have no issues using skype video chat which i know eats up way more bandwidth then this device trying to communicate with the central servers. Are there any moderators that can chime in?
#47661 by Aveamantium
Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:42 am
mcguiver7 wrote:Called tech support and now they say the reoccuring reboot is due to my upload speed (370kbps) not being fast enough (384kbps).

"All you need is a high-speed Internet connection (cable, DSL or fiber-optic) and a regular home phone."

I meet these requirements above. Why am I being told i need a minimum speed of 384kb upload now? to upgrade my internet service is way more expensive. i might as well just bundle in voip with my internet provider. I have no issues using skype video chat which i know eats up way more bandwidth then this device trying to communicate with the central servers. Are there any moderators that can chime in?

384 is the default upload number for Qos... It has nothing to do with the requirements of the device and should be changed in setup.ooma.com to match about 90% of your true measured upload speed if you have the ooma between the modem and the router. At most you should only need about 100 kbps in either direction (using the iLBC codec, assuming two simultaneous calls, and giving 20kbps slack). Not sure why this would cause a reboot!?
#47664 by mcguiver7
Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:54 am
Aveamantium wrote:
mcguiver7 wrote:Called tech support and now they say the reoccuring reboot is due to my upload speed (370kbps) not being fast enough (384kbps).

384 is the default upload number for Qos... It has nothing to do with the requirements of the device and should be changed in setup.ooma.com to match about 90% of your true measured upload speed if you have the ooma between the modem and the router. At most you should only need about 100 kbps in either direction (using the iLBC codec, assuming two simultaneous calls, and giving 20kbps slack). Not sure why this would cause a reboot!?

I called sales before reading your reply. I was told minimum requirements are 256k upload and 384 download. My speed tests are 3-10 mb download and 370kb upload. Regardless according to what you said the device shouldn't be having an issue booting up.

Again this didn't happen till they reactivated it. I'm wondering if after the activation it went out and attempted a firmware update and either grabbed a corrupted file or skipped a few versions? Is there a way to upload firmware to these locally and where can I get the firmware?

Matt
#47666 by Aveamantium
Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:02 pm
The numbers they are telling you are for CYA purposes as ISP speeds do vary, but the speeds I quoted you are correct for a call. Find ntoy in the forums and PM him... He seems to be pretty good at seeing what is actually going on at their end.
#47673 by mcguiver7
Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:40 pm
I'll shoot ntoy a PM. Thanks for the heads up.

Troubleshooting so far:

Initialally the device would flash the Ooma logo (blue)
Reactivation issued from tech support
Device consistently reboots, Ooma logo never lights up.
Noticed mac entry in my router from when the Ooma previously (half way) worked. 192.168.1.3
setup a continuous ping to 192.168.1.3.... Device never responds, just consistently reboots.

Matt
#47691 by amoney
Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:37 pm
Matt,

Sorry to say but your getting the run around. And most likely its dead. I know its a pain but you have to eventually get intouch with someone that has half a brain.

Ntoy is the best but sometimes he is unavailable. If you have any gas in your tank, I recommend trying support again, and request to speak to a supervisor.

BOTTOM line this device does not even need to be connected to the internet to boot up and stay up, this box can actually work as a simple local area network DHCP box. It should stay on and you should get to the home setup.ooma.com page.

Tell the supervisor your not buying that line of BS about your upload speed to slow and causing your Ooma to reboot. IT IS FACTUALLY WRONG.

You need to find out about where you stand on warranty!!