Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#47423 by jeffpc
Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:42 pm
I'm not sure what this means exactly, but my Telo is reporting a lot of overruns under the Port tab in the Ooma managment console. My understanding is that this number (along with the other errors) should be zero or at least very low. What is happening here? My setup is Cable Modem --> Ooma Telo --> Router --> Home Network.

Here is the data log:

MODEM Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
inet addr:24.xxx.xxx.xxBcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.248.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:20708962 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:3046188 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:71750 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2411361709 (2.2 GiB) TX bytes:302875593 (288.8 MiB)
Interrupt:53
#47468 by ladysman
Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 am
jeffpc wrote:I'm not sure what this means exactly, but my Telo is reporting a lot of overruns under the Port tab in the Ooma managment console. My understanding is that this number (along with the other errors) should be zero or at least very low. What is happening here? My setup is Cable Modem --> Ooma Telo --> Router --> Home Network.

Here is the data log:

MODEM Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
inet addr:24.xxx.xxx.xxBcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.248.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:20708962 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:3046188 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:71750 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2411361709 (2.2 GiB) TX bytes:302875593 (288.8 MiB)
Interrupt:53

I personally don't like having the telo before the router. This is me personally as i'm very much a network guy and like to Tinker. I have Modem> Router> Telo on cable and it works wonderful.

I suggest try that setup as well. You can do QoS in your router (if it's a good router) and it won't cause any pain.
#47530 by jeffpc
Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:35 pm
I agree... I would much rather have the Ooma behind my router, but that was causing problems with dropped calls. My router was set up with QOS, but that didn't seem to help.

Does anyone know what the "Overruns" counter is actually doing? Does it indicate a problem with my ISP or my own network? Any help?
#47544 by jeffpc
Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:17 pm
amoney wrote:
...overruns usually occur when packets come in faster than the kernel can service the last interrupt...

http://www.google.com/search?q=network+ ... ox&ie=&oe=

Yes, I had already done a Google search before posting here. My hope was that someone might be able to explain what is happening specifically in regards to the Ooma system. When I read what I could find on Google about overruns, all of the information is too general for me to understand how it relates to the Ooma itself.

Can anyone shed light on what this means in regards to the Ooma? Again, is it an indication of a problem with my ISP or my home network?
#47551 by amoney
Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:06 pm
Sory did not mean to be unhelpful, actually i am unsure how to interpret as you also dont show any other hard error in the log, just the TX overruns.

Try to put your Ooma behind your router and see what the logs produce.
#47699 by jeffpc
Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:06 pm
amoney wrote:Try to put your Ooma behind your router and see what the logs produce.

I originally had the Telo behind my router but that was causing call drops. The logs weren't showing any errors at that time however. I decided to take some variables out of the loop by putting the Telo in front of my router/network. The dropped calls seem to have stopped, but that is when the overruns began.

Even though I am not noticing any call quality issues right now, I'm trying to understand what that counter means in case a problem is on its way.
#47701 by amoney
Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:27 pm
Well ultimately that would indicate an issue with your Modem, not really a big issue, I forgot to ask what model of cable modem are we talking about. If you get your modem from your cable company just ask for a replacement.

I the end I am assuming the modem is receiving more packets then it can process, obviously you dont have any dropped packets, but your Ooma is having to resend the data.

Anyway thats my interpretation.
#47717 by jeffpc
Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:38 pm
amoney wrote:Well ultimately that would indicate an issue with your Modem, not really a big issue, I forgot to ask what model of cable modem are we talking about. If you get your modem from your cable company just ask for a replacement.

I the end I am assuming the modem is receiving more packets then it can process, obviously you dont have any dropped packets, but your Ooma is having to resend the data.

Anyway thats my interpretation.

Gotcha, thanks for helping me understand what might be going on here. I am using a Motorola cable modem that I purchased about 5 years ago in lieu of renting one from my ISP.