Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#47352 by underpar
Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:38 am
I have a ooma Telo.
There are two input phone jacks on the back of telo. One is labled phone. One is labled wall. What is the use of the wall jack, when I can't get a dialtone on my wired phones when plugged into that port??? Only port on back of telo that works is phone port.

Does anyone know how to connect a wired phone jack to telo without using splitter from phone port?
#47355 by murphy
Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am
On a Telo the wall jack is used only if you integrate a land line with the Telo.
If you chose to not integrate a land line, it has no use.
#47369 by underpar
Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:09 pm
That is what i am trying to do. I have a landline number that was ported to ooma. the phone company has disconnected my service. I am trying to run that number (wired phone jacks throughout the house) through the telo and there is no ooma dialtone when i connect it to a wall jack.
#47371 by murphy
Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 pm
underpar wrote:That is what i am trying to do. I have a landline number that was ported to ooma. the phone company has disconnected my service. I am trying to run that number (wired phone jacks throughout the house) through the telo and there is no ooma dialtone when i connect it to a wall jack.

If you ported your number to Ooma, and no longer have land line phone service, you are NOT integrated. The wall jack is of no use to you. You back feed your building wall jacks from the phone jack on the Telo.
#47402 by southsound
Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:25 pm
It might also be good to remove your home's wiring from the telco wiring to the central office. To do this, go to the network interface box on the outside of the house and unplug the little cord from the jack there. (This assumes you DO NOT have DSL) Then, place a note in the box that says, "Do not reconnect. Doing so may damage customer provided equipment!"
#47409 by ladysman
Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:52 pm
southsound wrote:It might also be good to remove your home's wiring from the telco wiring to the central office. To do this, go to the network interface box on the outside of the house and unplug the little cord from the jack there. (This assumes you DO NOT have DSL) Then, place a note in the box that says, "Do not reconnect. Doing so may damage customer provided equipment!"

Couldn't you just disconnect the line inside the house as well?
#47410 by southsound
Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:55 pm
ladysman wrote:
southsound wrote:It might also be good to remove your home's wiring from the telco wiring to the central office. To do this, go to the network interface box on the outside of the house and unplug the little cord from the jack there. (This assumes you DO NOT have DSL) Then, place a note in the box that says, "Do not reconnect. Doing so may damage customer provided equipment!"

You probably could - but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of what underpar wants to do? - using the Telo's phone jack to supply dialtone to the other jacks in the house? The reason why you disconnect at the network interface box is that it is a simple way to eliminate the possibility of backfeeding dialtone to some other telco subscriber and it also prevents stray voltages from giving you problems. If you are not using your household wiring, then just plug a multiple handset base station into the phone port and you're good to go.
#47413 by ladysman
Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:59 pm
southsound wrote:
ladysman wrote:

You probably could - but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of what underpar wants to do? - using the Telo's phone jack to supply dialtone to the other jacks in the house? The reason why you disconnect at the network interface box is that it is a simple way to eliminate the possibility of backfeeding dialtone to some other telco subscriber and it also prevents stray voltages from giving you problems. If you are not using your household wiring, then just plug a multiple handset base station into the phone port and you're good to go.

My line is coming into the house to the phone panel. My plan is to disconnect the line from outside from that panel be on my merry way. So in my case it's not defeating the purpose. I know not all houses are like that but it's as simple is ripping the wire off the panel. Done, connect the telo to any phone jack. Or am I way off? I can take a pic if you want.
#47422 by southsound
Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:40 pm
ladysman wrote:My line is coming into the house to the phone panel. My plan is to disconnect the line from outside from that panel be on my merry way. So in my case it's not defeating the purpose. I know not all houses are like that but it's as simple is ripping the wire off the panel. Done, connect the telo to any phone jack. Or am I way off? I can take a pic if you want.

Your home is wired like mine - I have a distribution panel inside the house that has punchdown blocks for my phone, buried cable to my barn and garage, etc. But what you describe is unusual except for very recently built high-end homes. Most folks just have the phone wires from the house connected directly at the network interface box. It doesn't matter if your home is wired in a star topology (all home run cables that meet at the NIB) or daisy-chain (wire runs from jack to jack to jack). The NIB has been mandated by law so you can unplug your internal wiring and test the telco's dialtone directly. That can eliminate a costly service call when the problem is your home wiring. If you have a phone distribution panel and know how to wire it, then connecting the ooma there and just leaving off the bridge clips or unhooking the telco wires is great. If you are like most of the rest of the country, the NIB is the easiest place.