Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#47155 by OomaTEC
Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:21 am
I have 2 core systems and 3 phone lines/numbers I will be porting. Line1=main number, Line2=work number, Line3=guest house number (used occasionally in main house). Currently I have Line1 on the Hub and Line2 on a Scout using whole house wiring and a 3 way splitter plugged into a single jack. (L1 to Hub, L2 to Scout and L1&L2 to a two line phone). DSL is on Line4 and will remain a landline not integrated into the Ooma system. So far so good, all jacks in house work fine.

I have DSL with a DLink DSL 2540B integrated modem/router so the modem port of the Hub plugs into the router. There is no separate modem port on the DLink. Nothing connected to the Home port of the Hub. VoipSpeedtest reports 5.13Mbps DL and 658kps upstream with no other activity. So far so good, works fine.

I will be adding Line3 to the mix but wanted to know the best way to hook it up.
1. Should I leave it the way it is and just add the second Hub for Line3?
2. Use the Scout for Line3 and move Line2 to the second Hub?
3. What are some of the considerations either way? QoS issues, bandwidth adding second Hub..?

I have learned a lot from this forum and grateful for the time and effort many have contributed.
#47475 by OomaTEC
Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:53 am
I have "decombined" my billing so I will be porting soon and would really appreciate some input on this as it will assist me in determining how I assign/port my numbers.

OomaTEC wrote:I have 2 core systems and 3 phone lines/numbers I will be porting. Line1=main number, Line2=work number, Line3=guest house number (used occasionally in main house). Currently I have Line1 on the Hub and Line2 on a Scout using whole house wiring and a 3 way splitter plugged into a single jack. (L1 to Hub, L2 to Scout and L1&L2 to a two line phone). DSL is on Line4 and will remain a landline not integrated into the Ooma system. So far so good, all jacks in house work fine.

I have DSL with a DLink DSL 2540B integrated modem/router so the modem port of the Hub plugs into the router. There is no separate modem port on the DLink. Nothing connected to the Home port of the Hub. VoipSpeedtest reports 5.13Mbps DL and 658kps upstream with no other activity. So far so good, works fine.

I will be adding Line3 to the mix but wanted to know the best way to hook it up.
1. Should I leave it the way it is and just add the second Hub for Line3?
2. Use the Scout for Line3 and move Line2 to the second Hub?
3. What are some of the considerations either way? QoS issues, bandwidth adding second Hub..?

I have learned a lot from this forum and grateful for the time and effort many have contributed.
#47493 by murphy
Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:57 am
I would put the guest house number on the scout and use the hubs for the two main numbers.
If you ever need to hook up a fax machine, it has to be connected to a hub. It won't work on a scout.
#47502 by southsound
Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:32 am
murphy wrote:I would put the guest house number on the scout and use the hubs for the two main numbers.

I would make the same recommendation - and I would put the scout next to one of the hubs connected by a short cable. Guests will not have a clue what to do with the scout and this way you eliminate a "training" requirement when you are hosting someone.
#47706 by OomaTEC
Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:45 pm
Sounds like good advice. I have located the Ooma equipment in a closet where the internet connections are so we will not be using the Hubs/Scout for voicemail. My wife likes the answer machine on the cordless phones.

I am still considering the pros and cons for each configuration. One scenario is: we frequently call to/from the main house (L1) to the guest house (L3) and I have learned the only way to keep from going straight to voicemail is to set up 10 number dialing. My wife doesn't like the connection delay so, no go. I assume that setting up L1 to a hub, and L2/L3 to Hub/Scout, we will be able to call to/from L1/L3 normally. Correct?

With the download/upstream speeds listed in the first post, do you think I will have any voice quality problems with this configuration if all lines are in use at the same time? (Assuming no concurrent high load internet usage)
#47708 by murphy
Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:47 pm
If you are set for 10 digit dialing and dial 7 digits, you can bypass the delay by ending with a #.
#48116 by OomaTEC
Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:29 am
Since ATT has not separated my billing yet, I still have not ported my numbers. So what about:

The # sign method does work but I am still wondering about the other setup.
"I assume that setting up L1 to a hub, and L2/L3 to Hub/Scout, we will be able to call to/from L1/L3 normally, that is without using 10 digit/# method. Correct?"

Secondly, what is the opinion about:
"With the download/upstream speeds listed in the first post, do you think I will have any voice quality problems with this configuration if all lines are in use at the same time? (Assuming no concurrent high load internet usage)"