Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#47102 by NewToOoma
Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:43 pm
The new installed Ooma telo will flash red and turn blue for no apparent reason. I have DSL service with Ooma between DSL modem and router. Kids keep getting getting kick off Xbox Live through router.
Will the Telo constantly alternate between lost connection and connection?
#47104 by ggilman
Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:04 pm
In normal operation, the device should stay blue. It shouldn't be disconnecting and flashing red. The only time it will go to red itself without a networking problem is during a firmware update. These usually only happen at night and I'm not sure of what the past frequency has been, but we don't get firmware updates all that often. Maybe every couple weeks at most?

I'm not sure what is causing your network problems but I assume you had none before? If your router supports QOS, you can place it after the router rather than between the DSL modem and router. If for some reason the Telo is having a problem talking to your cable modem, seems like this might fix things.

One thing you might check before doing this is go to setup.ooma.com and under the "Network" section, under "MODEM Port MAC Address", put it on "Use Built In" rather than Automatic.
#47105 by NewToOoma
Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:09 pm
Never had network connections until installation of ooma.
Have switched modem to 'built in' connection, we will see if system improves.

Thanks for the help.
#47118 by NewToOoma
Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:58 am
What I meant to type is we have never had any connection issues prior to Ooma. I changed the option on settings page, but this morning system just started flashing red for no apparent reason.
Not sure if my router supports QOS, what is QOS? It is a Linksys WRT330N router.
Can I just connect system from router to Telo?
#47129 by ggilman
Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:12 am
QoS stands for quality of service. It's a mechanism that prioritizes network traffic to ensure the higher priority stuff gets through if the network starts to become busy. Normally you want QoS because if your kids get on the xbox & you start downloading a bunch of stuff, then get an incoming call, the call could sound bad. QoS would slow up the other traffic to ensure the phone call stays clear.

I'm not particularly familiar with that router but I believe it has QoS abilities from the brief search I ran. QoS is pretty common on newer routers but not so much on older ones.

Anyway, at a very minimum you can put the Telo behind your router with or without QoS for testing purposes. If that seems to keep you from disconnecting, look into the QoS settings for your router to ensure better call quality from the Telo. Until the QoS is set up though, don't blame the Telo too much if you don't get good call quality when your network is busy. Even without the QoS though, the Telo should work behind the router. It's just an issue of call quality.