Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#46534 by electronicsdude
Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:37 am
No, I don't believe that I had it set up like that and I hear what you're saying re: your earlier suggestion.

I think at this point, I'm just gonna remove the Telo from the setup, do a hard reset on the router to return it to the factory settings and try to get the home network stable and connected to the internet again. Once I get that far I'll add the Telo back in to the setup and report back.

Thanks for your help.
#46550 by ggilman
Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:55 pm
electronicsdude wrote:No, I don't believe that I had it set up like that and I hear what you're saying re: your earlier suggestion.

I think at this point, I'm just gonna remove the Telo from the setup, do a hard reset on the router to return it to the factory settings and try to get the home network stable and connected to the internet again. Once I get that far I'll add the Telo back in to the setup and report back.

Thanks for your help.

From the problems you have right now, I think this is the right route. Even if you're more concerned with getting your wireless devices on the Internet, frankly I wouldn't be confident of any troubleshooting you'd be doing while you know there is something fairly seriously messed up with your router itself as things appear now. Remove the telo, get things going, then add it back in. I don't think it's possible for the telo to be causing your current symptoms but having it there overly complicates things until you can get your router itself going.
#46612 by amoney
Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:36 pm
Well by now you have reset the router and most likely everything is well but for future reference...

Could you clarify limited connectivity, did you get a IP from the router but cant get out to the internet or your computer does not get a IP at all and may show in command prompt ipconfig as 169.x.x.x etc something to that nature, anythng other than your routers IP range.

You can also troubleshoot by setting a static IP in the reage that your router would be dishing out and see if that would make a difference, again just for troubleshooting.

Just some thoughts.
#46768 by electronicsdude
Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:44 am
UPDATE: it looks like it was the router. Last night I took the Telo out of the equation and set out to just try and stabilize my home network as it was earlier in the week. After removing the Telo and powering up and reconnecting the modem, router, and PCs I still was having the same problems - wired clients getting IP addresses of 169.x.x.x, wireless clients getting good IP addresses (192.168.1.x), but not being able to get out to the internet, etc.

So I did several reboots, several resets, a hard reset of the 60/60/60 variety, a reset to factory settings, etc. Just when I thought I had exhausted the bag of tricks to get the router right, Linksys tech support suggested that I reload the most current firmware, which I did, and all of a sudden things started clicking a bit... the wired clients were all of a sudden getting good IP adresses! I still had to reload the firmware one additional time to get the internet working, but now that's working too.

I guess the bottom line is that this problem looks to be something with the router and not the Telo unit. That said I'm going to give the network the weekend to settle down before I try reintroducing the Telo.

What sucks is that I'm pretty sure this episode is the writing on the wall that my router will soon die completely. It's not even three years old, but since Linksys warranties are for one year I'll be out of luck. I've had my share of Linksys products crap out on me over the past 10+ years, but for some reason I seem to be a glutton for punishment and never learn. Oh well...

Thanks again to everyone for their help and once I get the Telo successfully added back into the mix I'll report back with another update to this post.