Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#46123 by F4ith
Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:25 pm
Hi All,

I finally received my Ooma Hub + Scout last Saturday and installed it with no problem. Since I opted to keep using the number that I have while it is being ported to Ooma as opposed to a new phone number, my called ID is not working. Is this normal?

Another issue that I have is the guide on the web versus the LOA email I received does not match. Guide said that we have to fax it back while LOA email said we don't have to do anything. Since this is a new technology and everybody is a bit nervous, I think it is a good idea to make all documents/user guides consistent.

Thank You,
F4ith.
#46125 by Groundhound
Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:39 pm
F4ith wrote:Hi All,

I finally received my Ooma Hub + Scout last Saturday and installed it with no problem. Since I opted to keep using the number that I have while it is being ported to Ooma as opposed to a new phone number, my called ID is not working. Is this normal?

Another issue that I have is the guide on the web versus the LOA email I received does not match. Guide said that we have to fax it back while LOA email said we don't have to do anything. Since this is a new technology and everybody is a bit nervous, I think it is a good idea to make all documents/user guides consistent.

Thank You,
F4ith.

Welcome to the Ooma forums. Since you integrated your landline, your inbound calls are still handled by your landline provider and callerID would be provided by them.
How LOA's are handled apparently varies depending on who you are porting from, in some cases it can be handled without faxes and in other cases signed LOA's must be faxed with copies of your bill. When I ported my number it was handled completely online with no faxes needed.
#46127 by F4ith
Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Hi Ground,

Thank You for your answer. You said my inbound call is handled by my landline provider.. how about the outbound? The reason I asked is because I work from home and I have been using Skype to make my outbound call. It will be nice if I can start using my Ooma =).

Edit: I just noticed in my call logs that all outgoing phone calls has caller IDs while incoming has 'Unknown'. This makes me think that as of Saturday (When I installed it), all outgoing is going through Ooma while Incoming is going through my landline carrier. Is this right?

Thank You,
F4ith
#46130 by Groundhound
Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 pm
F4ith wrote:Hi Ground,

Thank You for your answer. You said my inbound call is handled by my landline provider.. how about the outbound? The reason I asked is because I work from home and I have been using Skype to make my outbound call. It will be nice if I can start using my Ooma =).

Edit: I just noticed in my call logs that all outgoing phone calls has caller IDs while incoming has 'Unknown'. This makes me think that as of Saturday (When I installed it), all outgoing is going through Ooma while Incoming is going through my landline carrier. Is this right?

Thank You,
F4ith

I've never used landline integration myself, but I think outbound local calls will go through your landline while LD calls will go through Ooma.
#46355 by highq
Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:37 pm
Groundhound wrote:I've never used landline integration myself, but I think outbound local calls will go through your landline while LD calls will go through Ooma.

I have landline integration, and while all inbound calls come through the landline, NO outbound calls route through the landline.
#46358 by southsound
Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm
highq wrote:
Groundhound wrote:I've never used landline integration myself, but I think outbound local calls will go through your landline while LD calls will go through Ooma.

I have landline integration, and while all inbound calls come through the landline, NO outbound calls route through the landline.

From previous posts from ooma moderators, I'm not sure this is true. I wonder if you could be so good as to try something that will put the issue to rest for the current builds of the product, once and for all?

My thoughts are as follows. If you are indeed not using the landline for an outgoing call, then you should not be able to hear the call on that landline. Just dialtone. My test would be as follows. Plug a corded phone into one of the house phone jacks that are still powered by the landline. You should be able to make a call from this phone using your existing landline. Then, with the ooma still connected up to the wall jack as normal, go make a local call on the ooma. After it connects, pick up the corded phone that is connected to the landline. Can you hear the conversation? If so, the local call is made over the landline. If you hear dialtone, then the call is traveling over ooma's VOIP. This test is the only definitive way to test it out. Disconnecting the landline will force ooma to use VOIP for the call so that is not a valid test.

If you or someone else is willing to make the test the way I have described and post back the results, we would really appreciate it.
#46366 by highq
Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:52 pm
southsound wrote:
highq wrote:

From previous posts from ooma moderators, I'm not sure this is true. I wonder if you could be so good as to try something that will put the issue to rest for the current builds of the product, once and for all?

My thoughts are as follows. If you are indeed not using the landline for an outgoing call, then you should not be able to hear the call on that landline. Just dialtone. My test would be as efollows. Plug a corded phone into one of the house phone jacks that are still powered by the landline. You should be able to make a call from this phone using your existing landline. Then, with the ooma still connected up to the wall jack as normal, go make a local call on the ooma. After it connects, pick up the corded phone that is connected to the landline. Can you hear the conversation? If so, the local call is made over the landline. If you hear dialtone, then the call is traveling over ooma's VOIP. This test is the only definitive way to test it out. Disconnecting the landline will force ooma to use VOIP for the call so that is not a valid test.

If you or someone else is willing to make the test the way I have described and post back the results, we would really appreciate it.

I'm delighted to invest 55 seconds in the cause of truth and beauty. ;)

While calling out over the phone connected to my Telo (from and to numbers both in the 212 area), the other phones connected to my landline still present a Verizon dialtone, quod erat demonstrandum.
#46367 by southsound
Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:00 pm
highq wrote:I'm delighted to invest 55 seconds in the cause of truth and beauty. ;)

While calling out over the phone connected to my Telo (from and to numbers both in the 212 area), the other phones connected to my landline still present a Verizon dialtone, quod erat demonstrandum.

Thank you for the test! ooma has indeed made some changes based on your results. This should put the issue to bed. I'm sure that many of us were under the impression that the ooma mod's reply a year ago was still valid. Now we know for sure.

I am also impressed that you knew raccoons are fluent in Latin! Most folks would not know that! :P
#46374 by F4ith
Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:39 pm
Thank You Southsound for the test case and highq to test it out. I also suspect the same thing as all my outgoing calls has caller ID in the logged calls while incoming calls has 'UNKNOWN'.